Salt baths..... how to do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missyintx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 1.5" Green Severum that I bought yesterday. He was getting nipped by his former tank mates and has a nasty spot on the side of his head. I added some StressCoat to the tank he's in now. (Tank mates now are angelfish of varying size, 6 zebra danios, 2 plecos.
I was thinking a salt bath might help but I've never done one. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Ok, I found the information you need!!! This comes from The Simple Guide To Freshwater Aquariums by David E. somelastnameidon'tfeelliketyping

The best way to administer salt is to use a salt bath or dip. To do this, take a couple of cups of the aquarium water in a small container and add half a teaspoon to one teaspoon of salt. Mix it well, then net the afflicted fish and lower it, still in the net, into the salt bath. If the fish shows signs of distress (thrashing about), remove it immediately and dilute the bath with additional water from the tank before trying again. You can leave the fish in the bath for up to two minutes, provided it does not show signs of distress. The dip can be repeated one to three times a day until the problem clears up. The salt can also be added to the tank in greatly reduced concentrations, but that is not the preferred method of treatment.

HTH!!!

Couple more links to read thru:

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/salt.htm
http://www.arborman.com/mistymt2.htm

Also some things to consider. Using the tank water is important, but adding salt can change the Ph levels. Make sure to match Ph before dipping. Also, 2 tablespoons of salt will only change FW from 1.000 to 1.005 SG, so 1/2 to one teaspoon of salt to 2 cups of water will not change salt levels significantly. You may want to look up and find out what therapeutic levels should be, and test the salt water with a hydrometer to be sure you're at those levels.

Personally, if the wound isn't infected, I would use Melafix as a tx/preventative. Its a mild antibiotic made with teatree oil; I've had great success with it with my angels after a bout.

Btw Punky, hubby was staring at me strangely after I read your post; love the author's name LOL Yeah you made me burst out laughin with that one LOL

Back
Top Bottom