salt help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Question, if I add salt to my 125 gal how long after the salt treatment do you think it will take to get it back out of the tank with pwc's either 25% or 50%? Unfortunately my loaches didn't make it but once the tank is healthy I want to add loaches again, but in the meantime I am worried about the other fish as I have had 2 other deaths. Temp is 86.2, ph 7.8 ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 15 ppm.

Zagz,
After dosing normally recomended amounts of aquarium salts IMO opinion your salinity should be for practical purposes gone after the equivalent of a 100% water change, that is to say four 25% or two 50% PWC's.
I highly doubt you could find a traceable amount.

If you do a 50% change, you have 50% of the salt left. Another 50% change and the salt is down to 25%. One more 50% water change and the salt is down to 12.5%. etc.

How much is safe again? That of course depends on how much you put in to begin with. If you know the total abount of salt you added. You can figure approximate PPM.

I think we chatted about this..
the problem with adding something is.. once you add your water back after the fist change it becomes redilluted.. your persentage goes down but eventually you still have minute amounts of salt for a very long period of time.. If you dont have to use it.. such as going with a heat treatment instead.. its easier to not have to deal with the removal.. even thought the consentrations can be gotten down to negligable with a multiple large water changes (wich is alot of work for a 125 gallon tank) JMHO though

Back
Top Bottom