Salting tank for first time- HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,
I think there is something bad going on in my 72G community (mollies, platys, tetras, BN pleco). Noticed the black neon tetras have some weird looking spots/patches on them that appear to be greyish colored. They are not fuzzy patches- just looks like their scales are discolored. One of them has a gill that is injured. All of the fish are flashing a little bit but nobody else has the weird spots. Nobody is acting strange- still active and eating. I did not get any pictures of the tetras- they are so hard to get still.
I am leaning towards gill flukes or ICH? I introduced a few new fish last week (and the week before) without quarantining first (yep- my bad). I've never had any issues like this so it's my first time dealing with it but I want to try salting my tank before I try medication because I don't know what exactly is causing the issue. I've been reading up on salting and I've found this treatment (to treat illnesses): 1 tablespoon salt per 2 gallons of water.
Does that sound right? Lots of websites give different treatments so I'm not 100% sure which one to go with. Also note I am not doing a dip, I am treating the entire 72G tank.
Any info you can give me would be much appreciated as I've never ever used salt in my tanks before! THANKS!

Did you check your water parameters? Adding new fish can sometimes cause a disruption. Ammonia burns can cause some of your symptoms too

Yes- I checked as soon as I noticed the weird spots on tetras but everything is normal as it always is. No changes there. I'm very anal about my parameters :whistle:

Well I salted my tank 5 days ago and cranked the heat up to 86. I plan to keep the heat up for 4 days. Everybody seems to be fine- no more patches have appeared and it seems the patches have started to disappear. I guess that's a good sign? I did treat with some Ich medicine before I salted tank- but did a water change the day after (because I wasn't sure how the medicine would react once I salted the tank). I put A TON of salt in there- I did a "level 2" recommendation from a website for treating ich.
I guess it's just a waiting game now. I will remove the salt in another 5 days with water changes and turn the heat back down. If this hasn't killed the ich I will try medicine again. I don't really know what I'm doing- just following the regimen I found. But everybody seems to be doing better so must be alright. :blink:

Yeah, that sounds right. And that same treatment will cure a fungal issue in case that was the problem instead. Keep on with your plan

Great thanks for the response I’m sure there will be a time I need to use it, 2 to 1 is an easy ratio to remember. Do you mix it all at once or over time?

I do mine all at once. Most ppl mix it in tank water and dump it in slowly. I like to live on the edge, lol, and just dump kosher salt in by the table spoon

I tried to mix mine with tank water but it was SO MUCH SALT that it was taking forever to dissolve so I ended up just dumping it in half dissolved. Nobody seemed to mind :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom