Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same old betta questions

I just got a betta Sunday and have already noticed some blackening around the edges of his fins! He flares quite often! The ammo and nitrites are 0 I did a fishless cycle and held it with fish flakes until i got him. Monday I added 6 ghost shrimp and then noticed the bettas belly was bloated and I thought he ate one of the small shrimp but noticed they are all there tonight. I have tried feeding him peas and the stomach looks a little better. I think I may have over fed him. What's the best way to feed him and make sure the shrimp eat and the betta don't get to much? Also could his tail be from Stress? Should I medicate him for fin rot? The tank stays about 78/80 i believe. If it is finrot I'm afraid of spreading it to another tank by using my same PWC equip. Is running hot water over and through equip enough to keep it safe for other tanks ?? I have four stocked aquariums and cannot have equip for all my tanks. Advice ?????

Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
Are his fins looking frayed?
If not, he could just be changing colors, it's not uncommon.
Typically I feed my fish every other day, and I will supplement my shrimp with algae wafers if necessary.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfMoon B
Are his fins looking frayed?
If not, he could just be changing colors, it's not uncommon.
Typically I feed my fish every other day, and I will supplement my shrimp with algae wafers if necessary.
He's fins aren't as pretty as they were whenever I got him there was a hole and tear I believe.. A little bit of curling? The edges look white with
Black tips. I turned on the light last night and he was laying behind the heater... Idk ...
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay. Was your tank cycled? Current water params/temp? Tank mates? Let's see if we can figure it out!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Okay. Was your tank cycled? Current water params/temp? Tank mates? Let's see if we can figure it out!
Yes I did a fishless cycle and params are good! Tankmates are six ghost shrimp. I held the cycle with fish food... That's the inly thing I can think of and I had a very LITTLE salt in tank. I just did a 35/40 PWC. Without adding salt. I tried to get u some pics but u
Can't really see the black and white edges as much. There is a rock that could possibly be sharp but the black is perfectly around the edges. The big spot in the 2nd pic is only a reflection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-390453332.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	43692   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2855863250.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	43693  

Old 07-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a heater keeping it between 76/80 with the light on...
Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like it's a double tail half-moon? The tail from the pics doesn't necessarily look ragged, frayed or torn, but I can't see the black.
For fin rot you can try adding a little salt for nor more than 10-11 days, or you can put your betta in another tank and treat with melafix. Medications should almost NEVER be used with inverts like shrimp.
Keep an eye on it for a few days and lets see if there any changed before resorting to meds/salt.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Looks like it's a double tail half-moon? The tail from the pics doesn't necessarily look ragged, frayed or torn, but I can't see the black.
For fin rot you can try adding a little salt for nor more than 10-11 days, or you can put your betta in another tank and treat with melafix. Medications should almost NEVER be used with inverts like shrimp.
Keep an eye on it for a few days and lets see if there any changed before resorting to meds/salt.
I was hoping maybe some water changes will help . I'll try and stick with that. He seems very aggressive and he flares at everything idk what to do with him!! Lol his belly still looks a little bloated.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie

I was hoping maybe some water changes will help . I'll try and stick with that. He seems very aggressive and he flares at everything idk what to do with him!! Lol his belly still looks a little bloated.
If it is fin rot, keep the water as pristine as possible, DAILY water changes to keep parameters as good as possible.
For the bloat, fast him for a few days, and feed him a shelled, boiled/blanched pea to get his bowels going again. He may be constipated.
What is his diet/feeding schedule? Too much protein and this will continue to happen....
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait I'm confused..why was their salt in the tank?

If you use Melafix instead of Bettafix for a betta, make sure you are using only 1/5 the dose.

Is there something up against the tank that's making him catch his relection? Try to eliminate anything surrounding that may be causing the flaring.

If the tank temp is swinging between 76 and 80 that will not work. You need to have it set at 80 and stay pretty consistent there.

Also as far as feeding schedule I strongly recommend a Hikari or NLS pellet 3-4 days a week, a thawed frozen food 2-3 days a week, and a few pellet sized pieces of shelled blanched pea 1 day per week.

Bettas fins are so sensitive they can easily tear them on tank decor. Make sure any decor has no sharp edges or pokeys.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva
If you use Melafix instead of Bettafix for a betta, make sure you are using only 1/5 the dose.
+1, completely forgot to put that!! Thanks siva!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Wait I'm confused..why was their salt in the tank?

Is there something up against the tank that's making him catch his relection? Try to eliminate anything surrounding that may be causing the flaring.

If the tank temp is swinging between 76 and 80 that will not work. You need to have it set at 80 and stay pretty consistent there.

Also as far as feeding schedule I strongly recommend a Hikari or NLS pellet 3-4 days a week, a thawed frozen food 2-3 days a week, and a few pellet sized pieces of shelled blanched pea 1 day per week.

Bettas fins are so sensitive they can easily tear them on tank decor. Make sure any decor has no sharp edges or pokeys.
I have a little salt in all my tanks.However I didn't not replace any with my PWC today! I did remember to bettafix instead of melafix. I havent treated him for anything yet! I can't adjust my heater... Looks like it's staying about 78 degrees. He's flaring at the heater and at the glass and the background... Everything... Chasing the shrimp. He's just crazy! Lol I do feed peas... He got a hold of some tropical flakes that I put in for the shrimp. I'm trying to get a feeding schedule for him and learn to feed the shrimp as well. I feed him betta pellets by aqueon and will be feeding peas at least once a week probably more. I put in a small piece of an algea wafer last night hoping the shrimp could eat it but it was still there today so I sucked it out. I think maybe bettas are not for me..
Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

If it is fin rot, keep the water as pristine as possible, DAILY water changes to keep parameters as good as possible.
For the bloat, fast him for a few days, and feed him a shelled, boiled/blanched pea to get his bowels going again. He may be constipated.
What is his diet/feeding schedule? Too much protein and this will continue to happen....
Ok awesome sounds like a plan I am trying to monitor him and see whats up!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE="Flossie"]

I have a little salt in all my tanks.However I didn't not replace any with my PWC today! I did remember to bettafix instead of melafix. I havent treated him for anything yet! I can't adjust my heater... Looks like it's staying about 78 degrees. He's flaring at the heater and at the glass and the background... Everything... Chasing the shrimp. He's just crazy! Lol I do feed peas... /QUOTE]

The peas are great. Salt longterm however is NOT. causes organ damage in fresh water fish after the 10-12 day mark.
Bettafix is back fro the shrimp, so separate before medicating...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's a pic of him when I got him ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2900260442.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	43712  
Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh ok well I just won't replace it with my PWC.... I've seen the most healthy fish from ppl who keep salt in their tanks! Oh well... I will refrain from adding it again
Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I am not much of a betta person lol! They should be easy but obviously for me... I mean sheesh!! Lol
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
I have a little salt in all my tanks.However I didn't not replace any with my PWC today! I did remember to bettafix instead of melafix. I havent treated him for anything yet! I can't adjust my heater... Looks like it's staying about 78 degrees. He's flaring at the heater and at the glass and the background... Everything... Chasing the shrimp. He's just crazy! Lol I do feed peas... He got a hold of some tropical flakes that I put in for the shrimp. I'm trying to get a feeding schedule for him and learn to feed the shrimp as well. I feed him betta pellets by aqueon and will be feeding peas at least once a week probably more. I put in a small piece of an algea wafer last night hoping the shrimp could eat it but it was still there today so I sucked it out. I think maybe bettas are not for me..
Oh give him some more time. Bettas are the sweetest fish ever. They are like little water puppies. He will really bond with you.

To clarify, aquarium salt should only ever be use to treat illness such as velvet or ich. Once salt has been in the tank for a couple weeks your fish have internal damage.

I feel strongly about those Aqueon pellets. They are awful. Hikari or NLS pellets are the way to go. If you must finish your Aqueon pellets they need cut in half and soaked in tank water before feeding. They are too large and hard for bettas.

Bettas in a community setting will get some flake from time to time and that is OK. It's more important that they not eat freeze dried foods and pellet foods that are not very small and easy to digest.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
I think I am not much of a betta person lol! They should be easy but obviously for me... I mean sheesh!! Lol
Personally, I find them more difficult than your average tropical fish. But well worth it!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Oh give him some more time. Bettas are the sweetest fish ever. They are like little water puppies. He will really bond with you.

To clarify, aquarium salt should only ever be use to treat illness such as velvet or ich. Once salt has been in the tank for a couple weeks your fish have internal damage.

I feel strongly about those Aqueon pellets. They are awful. Hikari or NLS pellets are the way to go. If you must finish your Aqueon pellets they need cut in half and soaked in tank water before feeding. They are too large and hard for bettas.

Bettas in a community setting will get some flake from time to time and that is OK. It's more important that they not eat freeze dried foods and pellet foods that are not very small and easy to digest.
The pellets are actually really tiny and I did just buy them ( so far he don't like ppl lol I'm hoping he'll settle down soon (

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com