Scarlet badis /w white stuff on mouth (dario dario, badis badis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not sure, and I don't want to jump the gun, but I think one of my badis might either have mouth fungus or might just have an injury to the mouth, which is healing. Since they're so tiny (about 3/4"-1") it was hard to get a good picture, but I tried :|

4785813200_eb9d3a6a40_b.jpg

4785178807_025925bbc6_b.jpg

4785178629_ae337560a2_b.jpg

4785812848_e80fa512d3_b.jpg

For these pictures, please ignore all the crap on the walls. I recently added some oildri, and it seems the dust has taken a liking to my walls.

4785812768_60a0123006_b.jpg

4785812744_a6f03fb862_m.jpg

4785178373_0556c9b586_b.jpg

Is it fuzzy? Tinged with red flecks? It's probably bumped its snout on the glass when it was startled and now it's just slightly swollen. Give it time. But if you're worried I'd dose fungicide.

I wanted to get some sort of confirmation before I dose, because I know that badis are related to anabatoids (bettas/gouramis) and there's something in my head that's saying that things like melafix is bad for the labrynth organ.

I'm not sure how fungus scales (size wise) but on my dario (badis) it doesn't look fluffy. If fungus becomes smaller on smaller fish, it may not look like it, and that is why I'm worried. I've seen fungus on larger fish, and it was pretty obvious, but in this case, I'm not sure.

On that note, he (probably) is eating well, and is usually one of the first to get to the food (usually mosquito larvae and/or bloodworms). They're in a 10 gallon species tank with some java moss

Fungus doesn't care how big the fish is. I thin it's just mechanical damage. Keep an eye on it but it shouldn't be anything fatal.

What I meant was whether fungus scaled to the size of the fish, like structurally. The best analogy I can come up with right now, is building a house out of legos and/or bricks. When you build a big house, you can either choose to use some big bricks or alot of smaller bricks. I'm wondering whether the fungus will always use the big bricks, or will maybe use smaller bricks for a smaller house, so the stringyness will become less noticable, if the structures are smaller.

Yah, I've seen corydoras with a fungus ball the size of the fish itself. I don't think it matters how large the fish is.

Okay, that makes me feel better.

I can't really tell them apart yet, but I do remember two of them fighting over a mosquito larvae, and I think when they were tugging, one of them might have bitten the lip of the other. If that's the case, then I'm very relieved.

Back
Top Bottom