Scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laetitia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My blue dwarf gaurami has what appear to be a wound of some sort not sure if it's a scratch or if the other gaurami has been nipping at him? Anyway what can I do to make him recover? At this point I can't separate him as my platy is in the other tank waiting for her babies and my fighter is in the float tank as she murdered my Corydora and was attacking other fish.. I have a feeling it's from the other gaurami.. He seems normal in every other way. I had my water tested on Monday and all was good just ammonia was little raised after the death of the catfish. I've been doing 20% water changes daily since and getting it retested tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pictures of him

Attachments

• 1412837798490.jpg
    1412837798490.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 1412837815022.jpg
    1412837815022.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 86
When ever my fish have damaged fins or a wound of some sort i use API stress coat, within a few days they are usually back to normal.
Or you can try a water conditioner if you got some, check the label and see if it works for helping the fishes natural slime coat if so that should work

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just did a clean of the tank about 3 hours ago and put these in.. is this what you meant? Hopefully helps him. They were getting along great before not sure what changed

Attachments

• 1412839408293.jpg
    1412839408293.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 90
If the label on the water conditioner says it will replace slime coat or heal damaged fins it should help him out, usually you have to double the dose for healing.
Stress zyme is a lot different from stress coat but they both seem like good product.
Stress coat uses aloe vera for healing where stress zyme is the benificial bacteria that will keep your bio filter running mint.
Hopefully the water conditioner you got will work for damaged fish.
I hope this helped and good luck buddy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't see the injury. Where is it located in the pics?

What type fish is the cory murderer? ( I want to make sure I never buy that kind of fish)

I found a daily photo journal best when suspecting a problem. It tells you if they are getting better or worse.

I agree with using API Stress Coat and lots of PWCs.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I was on the top of his head. The corydora murderer was a female betta she got along great with everyone then turned evil.

He seems OK today no change in his scratch eating and swimming beautifully

Glad to hear your fish is better!

Side note if using purigen: I was reading at Seachem's website that if you use any stress chemicals other than Seachem's brand to remove purigen from the filter, b4 using a stress chemical.

The others bind with the purigen in such a way that they react and make chloramines that will kill the fish.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Purigen.html

"Q: On some of the Purigen® documentation I have read it says that some slime coat products can contaminate Purigen® and render it toxic. Can you identify these products ?

A: Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen® to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime® and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem. If you're curious, what happens is that the amine compounds can strongly bind to the resin, then when they (the amines) come into contact with any chlorine they will form chloramines which are highly toxic. We offer a stress coat product, StressGuard™, which is not amine based and so can be used in conjunction with Purigen.™

Q: Does AP Stress Coat foul/ruin your Purigen product?

A: If they use an amine based polymer it will not foul the resin but will render it non-regenerable. What amine based polymers will do is bond not just to Purigen but to any organic scavenging resin as well as any ion exchange resin and when you attempt to regenerate the resin they will then bond with the chlorine to form chloramine which can be released into the aquarium. This is not just an issue with Purigen but with all resins being sold in the pet trade. The problem only occurs when one attempts to regenerate the resin, there is no problem unless you wish to regenerate the resin you are using. Seachem products do not contain amine based polymers and are safe to be used in conjunction with not only our resins but also with other companies resins."

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

The corydora murderer was a female betta she got along great with everyone then turned evil.

Oo that's awful! We have a female betta in with 7 pygmy catfish. Currently in a 5g tank but will be in a 10g tank soon. She seems to mind her own business for now. I hope she doesn't turn out like that!

I really hope your fish gets better :)

Thank you his healing up really well I was worried he would stress to much and die but scales are returning. Thanks for all the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom