Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Second platy with dropsy

I lost one of my platies to dropsy about a month ago. Now one of the other platies appears to have it as well (no pineconed scales yet but she's pretty bloated).

The tank is well established (almost a year) and water parameters appear fine (0/0/10-20). It gets weekly water changes of 40-50%.

My pitbull pleco is in that tank and while I don't want ANY of my fish to get sick and die, he's one of my favorites. I'm afraid to move him to another tank for fear he may carry something.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can treat the tank to prevent the infection of more fish? Maracyn, Maracyn II?

Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

For right now, isolate that platy! Hopefully someone else will be able to give more advice.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I've had great success with maracyn! Worked a charm to cure my fanitail goldfish and black tetra that got dropsy a couple of months ago.. What else worked great was Jungle's Fungus Clear Tablets. They are just as good, if not better, and like...a fraction of the price... but you are treating a 10 gallon, assuming that you have no QT, so the maracyn should last you a while. I was trying to treat my 55 gallon with it, before I got a QT, and it took way to much money! HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropsy, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com