Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Serpae Tetras and Torn Fins

Hey everyone,

I have had my tetras for a while now...they are in a 40 gallon and there are 10 of them.

The only other tank mates are 3 cory cat fish. 2 Angels will be added soon.

The Tetra's fins are all raggy and torn looking. They were like this from the pet store. I tried Melafix and it didn't really seem to do much. Is there anything else I can try? No one has died...They seem healthy and eat a lot. I would like their fins to look better though, as they look kind of rough right now.

I believe that they may be actually nipping each other's fins. They nip at the Cory Catfish a little too...I'm not very happy about that, but I'm not sure what to do.

Anyhow, any advice on trying to fix these fins? Thanks.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to aquarist15 Send a message via MSN to aquarist15 Send a message via Yahoo to aquarist15
looks like either fin rot or just tail nipping. If you dont see themselves nipping each others tails, try some Fungus Eliminator for the fin rot

Currently I have a 10-gallon tank with 3 Serpae Tetras, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Platty and 4 Tetras. My Koi pond was recently devastated by Hurricane Wilma and 2 of my largest, most beautiful fish died plus one baby. I also have a Florida Cooter that died shortly after. Only 5 Koi Left.
aquarist15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Check the instructions of any meds before putting them in the tank with cory's. Cory's can be sensitive to many types of medicines. Serpaes can be nippy. That is most likely the cause of the fin damage.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
How often are you changing your water? Good water quality helps amazingly well when treating sore areas on the fish's body.

When you treat with the melafix, are you removing carbon from your filter?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My serpaes have always had this, too. I'm sure they are nipping, or being nipped, either way they are healthy

www.ErnestJohn.com
workfortheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to aquarist15 Send a message via MSN to aquarist15 Send a message via Yahoo to aquarist15
serpae's are common to be tail nippers

Currently I have a 10-gallon tank with 3 Serpae Tetras, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Platty and 4 Tetras. My Koi pond was recently devastated by Hurricane Wilma and 2 of my largest, most beautiful fish died plus one baby. I also have a Florida Cooter that died shortly after. Only 5 Koi Left.
aquarist15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fins, serpae, serpae tetra, serpae tetras, tetras, torn, torn fins

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com