Serpae Tetras and Torn Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone,

I have had my tetras for a while now...they are in a 40 gallon and there are 10 of them.

The only other tank mates are 3 cory cat fish. 2 Angels will be added soon.

The Tetra's fins are all raggy and torn looking. They were like this from the pet store. I tried Melafix and it didn't really seem to do much. Is there anything else I can try? No one has died...They seem healthy and eat a lot. I would like their fins to look better though, as they look kind of rough right now.

I believe that they may be actually nipping each other's fins. They nip at the Cory Catfish a little too...I'm not very happy about that, but I'm not sure what to do.

Anyhow, any advice on trying to fix these fins? Thanks.

looks like either fin rot or just tail nipping. If you dont see themselves nipping each others tails, try some Fungus Eliminator for the fin rot

Check the instructions of any meds before putting them in the tank with cory's. Cory's can be sensitive to many types of medicines. Serpaes can be nippy. That is most likely the cause of the fin damage.

How often are you changing your water? Good water quality helps amazingly well when treating sore areas on the fish's body.

When you treat with the melafix, are you removing carbon from your filter?

My serpaes have always had this, too. I'm sure they are nipping, or being nipped, either way they are healthy :)

Back
Top Bottom