**Setting up a quarantine tank** Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketetra28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! I am rescuing some tetras from a local on Kijiji because they "don't have time for the upkeep". How do you set up a quick quarantine tank??

From what I know there is no gravel, or decorations in the quarantine. But maybe a plant or two for "comfort" I guess.

All help is appreciated, thanks!

My qt tank is bare bottom with some PVC for the fish to hide In. I use an HOB filter for filtration and a small heater to heat the water and that's about it! Takes about ten minutes to set up. Make sure you move some sort of media from an established tank so you'll "instant" cycle the qt tank.

My qt tank is bare bottom with some PVC for the fish to hide In. I use an HOB filter for filtration and a small heater to heat the water and that's about it! Takes about ten minutes to set up. Make sure you move some sort of media from an established tank so you'll "instant" cycle the qt tank.

Ok thanks for confirming! And telling me about the PVC pipe

Thank you so much George! The quarantine tank is now up and running, and I just need to get the tubing tomorrow!

Also I emailed the lady that has the fish, and she didn't even know what kind of tetras they were and just told me what colours they were :/ She wouldn't even send me pictures lol

At least they'll be in good hands now :)

Tank looks great! Good luck with the tetras!!!

Exactly, it takes a teenager to care for someone's fish who won't put effort in lol :)

Thanks again, I'll post what they are when I identify them!

Sweet! looking forward to seeing what kind of tetras these guys are

Hi George! I picked the fish up today, and just as u thought they aren't tetras... They're swordtails and a type of platty.

They aren't in the very best condition, as their fins are a bit worn looking, and they platys scales are discoloured and flaky is some parts :( They are all doing fine except the one platty which I believe is bloated because it is having a really hard time swimming to eat and it's quite large in size..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402442015.909696.jpg

I've treated them with some freshwater salt by API, and some Melafix by API which will help the fins/scales

This is the fish that might be bloated IMOImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402442171.241998.jpg

Hi George! I picked the fish up today, and just as u thought they aren't tetras... They're swordtails and a type of platty.

They aren't in the very best condition, as their fins are a bit worn looking, and they platys scales are discoloured and flaky is some parts :( They are all doing fine except the one platty which I believe is bloated because it is having a really hard time swimming to eat and it's quite large in size..

View attachment 240013

I've treated them with some freshwater salt by API, and some Melafix by API which will help the fins/scales

This is the fish that might be bloated IMOView attachment 240014

Well it's good now that you have the fish, especially since the last owner had no idea what they had!!

The bloated platy may be pregnant. I can't tell, is it a male or a female?

Ok, I only own tetras right now, and she doesn't seem to have the black dot on her stomach that I've heard of. Are female platys usually bigger that the male. If so she's like 2-3x bigger than the other one

Ok, I only own tetras right now, and she doesn't seem to have the black dot on her stomach that I've heard of. Are female platys usually bigger that the male. If so she's like 2-3x bigger than the other one

Usually females are a little bigger than the males. Look on the underside of the fish, males will have a "stick" between their two anal fins. Females don't have this. I say stick because I have no idea what they're actually called. You'll know it when you see it though.

I couldn't add a picture to my last post after I sent it, but here's the difference between male and female. Males have the pointy fin, females are rounded.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402444523.888516.jpg

I finally got to see the large platy and it looks like a male with the pointed fin. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the fish like you asked, I would have today but I had a big English essay to work on sorry!

If you know it's a male, I don't need a pic anymore because it's pretty hard to screw up sexing platies lol. Are they doing okay so far?

Ugh good luck on your essay! I know the pain, I'm in high school too

They look like they're doing better, the platys are a lot more active then they were when I got them on Tuesday! The swordtails are still crazily active lol. They're all males though, in your opinion should that be fine for a bit?, they seem to be doing fine together and getting along.

Yeah they should totally be fine. Are you referring to the fact that they're all males? If you were, then that's completely fine, you just won't have any babies.

Back
Top Bottom