setting up an emergency hospital tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi...

with all my problems, it isn't much suprise one of my african cichlids is sick.

I just got a 5 gal hex for work and had not set it up yet. Still in the box.

I need a hospital tank fast. The african has a white fungal looking infection on the tail end of her body, and is needing treatment.

What would be the best way to go about this? Use water from an existing tank? New water with prime and stability to get bacteria going?

Any suggestions?

Also, the affected fish appears to have either a fungal or bacterial infection...white cloudy patch near tail around entire body area. Treat with Pimafix or melafix or something else?

Thanks
P.

A hospital tank can be set up with media from another filter. Keep in mind though that if you have a fungus in the main tank, the filter may contain some of the fungal infection. I don't bother with the old water as very little bacterial culture is in the water, it is in the substrate and filters. If it is fungus or columnaris, treating with Maracyn might be better. Also you may want to treat the whole tank depending on the stocking of the tank that the infected fish is from. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom