Several things all at once!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
What started out as a normal Ick infestation of my tank seems to have escalated into something greater. Yesterday, one of my Harlequin Rasboras died from what looks like some sort of Dropsy disease, the area around its eyes were bloated, it loss coloration (the distinct black spot on its side were faded), and was going from the bottom of the tank to the top and swimming upside down. I have another Harlequin Rasbora that seems to be going down that road. Some of my other Harlequins are getting Reddening gills.

My platy thats colored black and orange, is having its scales turn a white-silvery color, and several of my other platys are having their gills slightly red. As a preliminary treatment, i did a 50% water change, and i'm going to do another in two days.

I just tested parameters, Ammonia and Nitrites 0, Nitrates around 5 ppm. I've had the Temperature at around 87 Degrees all of this week to treat the ick, and its mostly gone except for the very sick Harlequin Rasbora. Any help/insight as to what I can further do would be great, I'm tempted to go and purchase Quick Cure, but i'm not sure what good that will do.

Raising the temp lowers the oxygen levels in the water, but I think that causes pale gills... But you could still try dropping the water level in your tank a couple of inches to get more splash from your filter or adding an airstone. Ich can infest the gills too and that might be causing the redness?

I agree it may be an oxygen issue- lack of sufficient oxygen can cause gill redness, loss of body color & erratic swimming. Increasing the temps reduces the amount of dissolved oxygen available in the water. Increase your water changes & add more aeration & see if this helps.

Don't see how it could be an oxygen problem, I have a very heavily planted tank and my filter causes surface movement. But just in case, I'm going to angle my Powerhead upwards so it breaks surface tension.

Well my sick Harlequin Rasbora died, thats two deaths in a week. Classic case of Blaot from what it seems, he hadn't been eating in days, yet his belly was huge. Scales popping out, swimming upside down in his final hours, eyes swollen. I'm very confused as to why this is happening, could it be caused my something?

This sounds like classic dropsy. Dropsy is a symptom of disease & not a disease itself. It can be caused by an internal infection, a parasite issue or a virus. Are any of your other fish displaying these symptoms?

Besides the two that died, I don't see any other symptoms of any disease in the tank besides Ick (which is dying off due to heat treatment). the Redenning Gills went away after my water change (strange because there was no Ammonia).

Back
Top Bottom