Severe fin rot and cottony fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlyf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently took over care of an irresponsible friends' goldfish.

The black moore has cloudy eyes.

The oranda has very bad fin rot and cottony growth on the edges on his tail and his swimming fins. One big one just fell off, and you can see how terrible the fin rot has become.

I removed the carbon and started treating the whole 20 gallon tank with melafix AND pimafix. It has been 5 days since I started treatment.

The tank also has an algae problem that I've been controlling by scrubbing the tank walls, vacuuming the gravel, and rinsing the decor.

I do weekly water changes of about 8 gallons, and I use water conditioner.

Please any advice you can think of. I'm in panic mode at this point.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is the pima/mela making a difference? After 5 days it should hopefully not be getting worse or I'd look at something stronger.

It's easy for me to say but once the fish is used to water changes more often, then I would increase the frequency of them. A 20 gal tank just seems kind of small although I realise the tank is what it is and imo think you should be congratulated for taking this on.

Last one is are you checking ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? It sounds like the tank is being over-hauled to get it back to scratch and that can do funny things to the water chemistry.

I haven't been checking the parameters, as my own tank is cycled and I have no problems, I don't have a kit.

I've put the very sickly oranda in a 5 gallon hospital tank, so I can do 100% water changes every other day or so. He hasn't been swimming very well or very much, so when I begin seeing an improvement in his fitness and his fins, I'll reintroduce him to the 20 gallon...

As for the pima/mela combo, the cottony growth seems to have dissolved.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom