Severum & Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin_j001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have been doing some reading and following advice given in other threads and articles, and just wanted to see if anyone had any other reccomendations that differ/add to what I am currently doing. To start off, I have a 65 gallon FW tank that was moved into my apartment about a month ago. The tank was well established before the move (stable ~3 yrs with little/no maintenance performed). After the move, we added water back to it, started the filter (Eheim 2213, 440 l/h), waited about an hour and added the fish (2 gold severums, 3 others ~2 in each, unsure what they really are) back in. About two weeks later, I added an LDA32. The tank has one live plant that has been around for about three years as well.

I have noticed that the nitrAtes in this tank seem to run high (between 20 to 80ppm), and I haven't been able to fix that really. pH is consistantly 6.6-7, nitrites 0 and ammonia at .25ppm. Any ideas here?

Recently, one of the severums appeared to have swam into a rock or something--he looked to have an abrasion on his side. A few days later, this wound appeared to be infected with a fungus. I have moved this fish to a 10 gal QT tank with 5 gal from the est. tank and 5 gal fresh, about about 2% salt, and have been adding Mardel Maroxy for the past two days (since he has been in QT) at the reccomended dosage, and plan to continue this for 5 days, then return him to the 65 gal tank by drip acclimation for about an hour or so (I am also planning on a 10-20% water change every other day in the QT tank).

Does anyone have any other reccomendations for me at this point, or am I doing all I should for this tank? I plan on getting another small live plant to see if that will help bring down the nitrAtes and ammonia a bit more. Any ideas/advice?
Thanks in advance!

Jeff[/u]

[center:267f2755b4] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, martin_j001!! :n00b: [/center:267f2755b4]

I have noticed that the nitrAtes in this tank seem to run high (between 20 to 80ppm), and I haven't been able to fix that really. pH is consistantly 6.6-7, nitrites 0 and ammonia at .25ppm. Any ideas here?
Weekly or biweekly 25% PWC will fix that right up. Ammonia will only come down with water changes. Since your nitrites are 0, the ammonia is not being converted by the bacteria. A plant can help with nitrates, but water changes will take care of both problems.

Is the severum recovering?
and plan to continue this for 5 days, then return him to the 65 gal tank
Only return him if he is fully recovered.
I am also planning on a 10-20% water change every other day in the QT tank
You will need to since the tank is not cycled.

I have been doing about a 10-15% PWC weekly since I got the tank, so I will up the amount and see how that goes.

The cottony growth on the severum seems to be going away a little (I only started this treatment yesterday afternoon). He is very scittish in his new tank with nothing in there with him. I have the whole tank covered by a blanket during the day so my cats don't bother him--with this affect his recovery in any way? And after 5 days, I should stop adding the Maroxy, but keep him in the QT tank until he is fully recovered? Thanks for the quick response as well!

Jeff

And after 5 days, I should stop adding the Maroxy, but keep him in the QT tank until he is fully recovered?
If the med calls for stopping at five days, then do so. Leave him in the QT tank to fully recover. You may also want to add Melafix to the tank. In addition, give him a cheap aquarium decoration to hide in, or a new, clean coffee mug. This will lessen the stress and quicken recovery.

I have the whole tank covered by a blanket during the day so my cats don't bother him--with this affect his recovery in any way?
This may just be me, but I would want to see daylight while I recover. If the fish has something to hide in, he should be okay. Can the cats be locked out of where the fish QT is? I know my cats like our tanks, but they tend to stay off the QT tanks (the tanks are too small for the cats' liking).

Actually, I just relocated the severum in his QT tank to a higher spot the cats can't get to, so I will add some sort of decoration for him to hide near/in/behind. Thanks again for all the advice, and I will post as changes (hopefully for the best) occur!

Jeff

Menagerie, I took your advice and purchased some Melafix as well. Do I add this to the tank while I am still using the Maroxy? If so, should I do one medication in the morning and one in the evening?

To decrease stress on the fish as much as possible, I purchased a Fluval 1 underwater filter for his QT tank, that way I am not forced into bothering him every other day. I also bought a small heater for his tank, as the water temp got into the low 70's last night. Thanks agian for all the help, I really, really appreciate it! :mrgreen:

Jeff

The filter and heater should help greatly. If filter on the the main tank is well established, take some bacteria from it and seed the new filter. In the past I have used Melafix in conjuction with kanamycin. Melafix is nice since it a natural oil. I like it to help keep secondary infections down. It's also great for torn fins. Use your best judgement. If you feel the fish is recovering, just use the Maroxy for the five days. Afterwards, add the Melafix to the tank.

I just realized that Maroxy will probably kill the good bacteria in the tank. Don't seed the filter until after the Maroxy treatment is over and then do a largish water change. I don't know if the Fluval you bought has carbon in it. If it does, remove it. The carbon will absorb the meds and the fish will not get better. In the meantime, you will still need do PWC in the QT tank--ammonia levels will rise quickly in a small tank and you don't want to further stress your fish.

The Fluval does not have a carbon filter in it, I made sure of that. Should I do a PWC regardless of the filter? I did one yesterday, about 3 gallons total, and then gave him a little zucchini (he didn't eat much though).

The cottony growth appears to be almost gone, now it appears as though he just has a bad scrape/gash on his side. I will probably use both in the tank for the five days, and then continue the melafix until he is completely healed.
Jeff

Sounds good! A PWC is needed because the filter cannot remove ammonia since it has no bacteria. Adding bacteria will not help because the Maroxy will kill the bacteria. Keep the filter going as it will still get particles out of the water and the water moving.

update.....

Well, the severum in the QT tank is doing well, but missing his friends he left behind. The wound on his side appears to be healing nicely. After the first day of treatment with Maroxy, I saw no more signs of the fungus, and the Melafix appears to be helping the wound heal up nicely. Today is the last day of treatment with the Melafix (as it reccomends a 7 day treatment), but I am going to keep him QT'd until he is VERY well healed. Thanks again for all the help, I really do appreciate it! :D

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom