severum got stuck in a lava rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home saturday night to find to my horror, my severum stuck in the hole of a lava rock in my tank. im guessing he was trying to get away from the green terror who layed eggs on her own again and thought he could fit through.

After I helped him out i immediately could see how badly wounded he was. He must've tried getting out of there for a while; he had lots of scales missing on his sides and he has cuts and scraps all over him. He only bobs around belly up in the tank. I moved him to a 20 gal, he's alone in there and i treated with melafix, today is the second day of treatment. He's still belly up. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can do to make sure he lives on and survives this. Also I have maracin 2 and i was thinking of using it, but im not sure if its safe to use with melafix?
Thanks, Ben.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like the fish is in a bad way. You now know why, I would never have lava rock, or any other sharp rocks in a tank. Might add a little salt to the water, perhaps a couple of tablespoons.

he passed away yesterday. I've lost other fish before, a few mollies and guppies, but I've never felt this kind of sadness/disappoint from the loss of a fish. I dont kno, i just feel like that severum had alot more of a personality then a molly or guppy. I feel disapointed mainly because it could have been easily prevented. I feel like I waited to long to move some cichlids from my 48 and I actually hadnt had the lava rock in there for the past few montsh before this month. The lava rock is being retired. I added some salt actually thanks for that advice. Yeah I plan on getting some pimafix just in case for the future, just so I've got all the fungus and bacterias covered.

Back
Top Bottom