Shark dieing? looks like air in him!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oMek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have 2 earidecent sharks in my 55 gallon tank. today for some reason 1 of the sharks looks really bloaded on 1 side and there is a lump sticking out. he is also staying at the top of that tank (hes always on the bottom normaly) hes moving rreally slowly.

i have a bunch samll gupies in there also could he have eat 1 and its not digesting? or could he have a air bubble traped?

when he swims to the bottom he just floats right back up to the top.

HELP asap
thanks

Hrmm. Sounds like a combination of dropsy and a swim bladder problem.

There are a number of causes for both; first thing that need to be eliminated as a cause is water parameters; what are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? Also, how long has the fish been in the tank, any new tankmates, when was your last water change and what are they being fed?

Sounds like a swim bladder problem. I have not had much luck with these, so I can't give you much advice. I would look into feeding some peas and/or using epsom salts (I have not tried these as a remedy). Do you know if any guppies are missing? If so...I am guessing that yeah, that could cause a blockage.

cowfish7

to tell the truth i dont check any of the water levels. it evaps so quick i add about 10 gals a week to it. the fish have bin in there for about 2 months now. i just added 10 feeder gupies about 5 days ago. my angels killed 1 and there are only 7 left now. so.. 2 are missing.

ok this thing seems to be growin quick, its only bin a few hours and now it look really white/pink and it buldgin out more.
ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS?

Its quite likely a bacterial infection; thats probably the only thing which would cause bloating that like in such a short time. A serious internal infection can cause the kidneys to shut down, and the fish can't rid the body of fluids causing it to bloat. It could also be a cyst, which is getting larger as the fish's body tries to fight the infection. Either way, the fish should be isolated and in pristine water parameters; a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanacyn MIGHT help. Problem is, it needs to be treated ASAP; can you get to an open lfs tonight? Even then, with the swollen area growing visibly in an hour, its going to be a close thing.

ok well, he died like 2 hours after i made last post, i have him in a big bole floating in the tank. whatever was growing looked like it was coming out of him and grew REALLY REALLY quick. poor shark. i changed the water in the tank. all the other fish look ok. is there a chance they will get sick also?

Sorry to hear you lost your fish.
How much water did you change? (Hopefully just a partial.)
All you can do is keep a close watch on your other fish, and check that all your equipment is working properly.
How are they looking now?

cowfish7

I have a Question about the deceased shark... this may seem like its stupid but, some times iridecent sharks arent prone to disease, maybe one of the other fish had it but mananged to pull through, could it possibly have happend because of that? :?:

Back
Top Bottom