shark losses color at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JettMillenia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my aquarium is fairly new and has been cycled. I have a 29gallon tank. With 1 betta, 1 blue dwarf gourami,1 Dalmatian Molly and 1 red tail shark. My worry is in the morning when I switch on my light my sharks tail is clear white. But regains his bright red color back after sometime the light has been on. I know stress or sickness can cause that. Is this common? Thank you

I think it's normal when they are young or new to their environment. I've had my red tail shark for about 5 years now and he is always very black with bright red tail. He does lose a bit of color when I feed and he gets excited...but quickly regains the red color on his tail.

When you turn the lights on, is the shark out and about or is he/she in one spot (sleeping). If you turn the lights on early in the morning, try turning them on a bit later when the shark is fully active.

I`m not much of a FW expert but even in SW they lose their color at night time esp. when the lights go out.

He's out and about. And I turn my light on when I leave foe work at 7am. Well thank you, I wasn't too worried but I didn't want something to go unnoticed.

Yea, in general - if the lighting level in your tank changes drastically (going from pitch black to full light on) - fish can be shocked by it and lose their color briefly. My Neon Tetras will have a weaker "stripe" in the morning, but it'll come back as the day goes.

I also have a small 5-bulb LED Moonlight retrofitted into my hood so that even the nighttime in the tank is still a bit illuminated.

A good idea would be to turn on the room lights in the room where your aquarium sits, and then after a few minutes turn on the tank lights. Just give them a more gradual transition.

Remember, aquarium lights are designed to mimic full sunlight - so just imagine if you rolled out of bed and were on the beach in the summer. :D You'd probably lose some color too.

Lol I see your point. Ill try not blasting them with light all at once. I like the idea of the LEDs durning the night

I always turn on a room light for a bit before the fish lights come on. My harlequin rasboras lose their little black hatchet mark every night, and it comes back after the light has been on for about 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom