Should I euthanise fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a little fish that's not very well. He is swimming at an angle for 4 days now and just mainly keeps swimming round the castle I have in tank. He is feeding bad at feed times he does swim up to the tank to eat then goes back down. The other fish are fine. I have neon tetras mollies and and few sucker fish. What should I do?

Are they white spots all over the fish, were they on it when you got it?
Have you treated it for ich?

no, the belly is white and on his orange bit he has flecks of dark white, they are not spots just the colour the fish is. Have not treated him yet as don't know how to. He has been swimming normally for a long time, had the fish about 3 months or so. just suddenly started swimming at angle.

Okay, sorry I can't help you, hopefully some one with a lot more experience will be able to help. It's a worry when you get a sick fish. Could be swim bladder, if it's swimming funny. Good luck, hope someone picks this up.

You can try putting a frozen pea in tank water and squeezing the soft inside out of the shell and feeding it to your fish. You can also try giving it an Epsom salt bath.

I had a fish that was acting just the way you describe here and neither of those things worked, but they may work for you. He lived for quite a few months lying on the sand and the only time he moved was when it was time to eat. I didn't have the heart to euthanize him.

Have you noticed if the fish has gone #2 since he started swimming like this?

I had the same problem with 2 of my fish, a Molly and a buenos aires tetra, at different times and I fed them some cooked frozen peas, just the inside soft part and it sorted them both out in a day or so

Sick Fish

Hi, I have a little fish that's not very well. He is swimming at an angle for 4 days now and just mainly keeps swimming round the castle I have in tank. He is feeding bad at feed times he does swim up to the tank to eat then goes back down. The other fish are fine. I have neon tetras mollies and and few sucker fish. What should I do?

Hello Olly...

Sorry, but these things happen. Keep the water extremely clean with large, frequent water changes, that's the best thing for any fish. I wouldn't just guess that there's a problem, keep the fish in the tank. If it dies, and you can easily remove it, then do it. Otherwise, let nature take its course and let the bottom feeders or snails take care of it.

B

I will leave it then. Water is always crystal clear and do 50% changes weekly. Just gonna keep an eye. I have noticed when he is lying on the gravel he is actually straight but it's not often, so it could pass.

Back
Top Bottom