Shredded Fins - Cory Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had 2 cory catfish in my tank for about 2 weeks. I have noticed that the dorsal fin on one is jagged and has a small hole in it. The tail fin on the other is chewed looking, and now it does not have that forked look - just jagged ends. There is no indication of an infection, the edges are not white and they appear normal otherwise. Could they be doing this to eachother? One sucked a hole right through the bag by the time we got them home from the store. There is just 1 rosy barb and 2 danios in the tank with these corys. I suppose the barb could have done it, but I have never witnessed any aggression between the 2 species in my tank. Any ideas or experiences with this?

What kind of substrate and decorations do you have? I am thinking if the cory is trying to squeeze into hiding places and whatnot it is injuring its fins in the process, maybe, if you have coarse gravel and rocks. I agree with you that the other tank inhabitants are not known for being fin nippers, so I'm as confused as you are, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom