Shrimp and fish and ICH!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dopeyeggi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just moved my 45 gallon aquarium from my old apartment to my new one. After about six months of having my tank rid of ich, it has suddenly reappeared after the move. I'm guessing that this is due to the stress of the move to my fish or from the new glass catfish I added a couple days ago. Usually I treat my tank with Ich Cure which is a mixture of formalin and malachite green but since then I have added a Wood Shrimp. Under the advise of my boyfriend, I treated the tank for two days with it already. Then, today, I found out online that this formula is toxic to my shrimp.
I have two questions for you please.
1. Will my shrimp be irreversibly harmed by the two days of treatment?
2. What method should I follow to rid my tank of ich and keep my shrimp alive? (I do have an extra 12 gallon to hospitalize but the ich has spread to most of my fish so I find it hard to hospitalize.)

You can use the heat method. Very effective. Raise temp slowly to 86d. Leave it at this temp for at least two weeks after the last ich spot has disappeared from your fish.

A lot of times there is a lack of information about treatments and their affect on all of our tank inhabitants. You could do a PWC and add carbon to your filter to remove the meds. Hopefully it isn't too late for the shrimp.

I second the heat treatment and the carbon to remove the meds. It seems extreme but I lose fewer fish with the heat treatment than with meds and it is very effective at wiping out ich. You won't see it again until you bring it in with a new fish.

Back
Top Bottom