Shrimp Storage While Treating Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithjfuller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon planted tank with 5 fish and a shrimp. It looks like my guppy might have a parasite (the long white stringy poop). I got some Parasite Guard, but I know this stuff is not good for shrimp.

I don't have another tank, but I was wondering if it would be ok to put the little shrimp in a tiny tupperware and leave the tupperware in the tank for a day or two (just to keep the temp the same).

My other option would be to put him in a larger one, but I don't have a second heater and I'm not sure if he'd die (our house gets from 65-72 on an average day).

Your best option is the second tank .... shrimp should be fine with those temperature ranges.

Your best option is the second tank .... shrimp should be fine with those temperature ranges.

Thanks. I went ahead and put him outside the tank in a tupperware for a few days and he was fine. I think he was happy when we put him back in a few days ago. Unfortunately, the guppy didn't make it - but I think we caught it too late, and our Petsmart guppies haven't faired well (a few died within a week from what looked like an infection) even though my water parameters have been perfect. Also, the shrimp and Rasboras have been doing really well. Either way, I think I probably got rid of the disease in the tank with the treatment, and I'm going to stay away from Petsmart fish from now on.

Back
Top Bottom