Shusui koi acting strange - need diagnosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hip

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I know I'm gonna get slammed for this but I recently(2 weeks ago) bought a 4 inch koi from wal-mart. We have a local pet store that is very knowledgeable and have nothing but healthy fish but the downside is their koi are $16 for a 4 inch Ogon(plain colored. Nothing fancy). Wal-mart = $4.35 for the same fish.

Obviously wal-marts fish are bought from a NON reputable source and I've bought 2 koi from the place that charges $16.

But I was getting a new filter and happened to see this one very beautiful Shusui koi. Sky blue that fades off to a pumpkin orange underbelly. With dark black lines up it's back and almost glass clear fins. Not only that but huge dragon-like scales behind it's ills and Along it's back. Never saw one like this locally. Had to have it and for $5? freaking right!

PROBLEM!
For the past week it has been hanging at the bottom of the tank. And I'm not going crazy, it's slimming up. When the other 2 eat and dance along the water line this one doesn't. Once in a while I'll see it venture around but quickly retreats if spooked.

That quick retreat has become a sluggish retreat. It's fins are still upright and out but his coat which is scaleless now looks like he's got patches of wet glue on him. What I mean by that is some parts are shiny. But he mostly looks cloudy. Colors faded and I can catch him with my bare hands. I've also noticed a constant breathing and looks like he's swimming in place. Definite calorie burner. The others don't bully him. Sometimes they even swim down to him and float beside him as if they're conversing. It also looks like he has a weird fleshy string going in and out of his mouth when he breaths and he doesnt close his mouth fully.

I really do not wanna lose this koi because it's amazing looking and on eBay the cheapest I've found for this breed is $45 and upwards.

What is wrong with it? I know it's sick but what can I do to save it. There has to be something. :((((

Last edited:
Do a 50% water change ASAP... Also, invest in some melafix and aquarium salt to help with his scales, and primafix in case it's parasites.

I did a 50% water change, if not more like 70% 2 days ago and he seems worse off than before or even the same as before. I'll go to the pet shop tomorrow and look for that stuff.

Is it possible to syringe feed a fish that small just to keep it's body weight up until/while those treatments are added to the water? I don't want this poor thing to starve itself.

That should work. Don't be surprised if he's not hungry... He's been through a lot. Also, what are your water parameters, and how big is the tank?

Back
Top Bottom