sick algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjb018

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got question, I have a 29gallon tank. When I started it I had 2 betta's and 2 guppies. After about a week or so, the 2 betta's died but the guppies are still there. Today, I got an algae eater and put it in the tank. After a couple hours i decided to check on the fish and noticed that the algae eater was upside down but breathing, i have since moved him to a bowl where it kinda looks like he's getting better. Any idea's on whats happening? Also, before the 2 betta's died, there were some bubbles coming from the filter but when the bubbles slowed/disappered thats when they died.....

Has your tank gone through the nitrogen cycle? What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)
Please don't tell me you had 2 male bettas in the same tank. :(
Do you have enough surface agitation in your tank?

no, my tank hasn't gone through the nitrogen cycle. No body here in my area has the FW test kit and i haven't found a place that'll ship one my way. I don't think the betta's were both male as they had been together in a bowl for a while before i set up the tank. If by surface agitation you mean bubbles coming from the filter after the water hits the surface, at the time i don't think i had enough as it was set on low. Thats also a possibility i'm leaning on to....

Also, my algae eater is doing way way better now:)

Well, I would suggest daily water changes of 25-50% until you can find a test kit. Clean water is the best medicine, and you want to try and get rid of as much ammonia and nitrites as you can. :)
If there is not enough oxygen in the water, the fish will gasp and stuff, so lowering the water level and turning up the filter will work. The agitation on the surface of the water is what creates oxygen in the water.

I'm in the process of changing the water at the moment. I will be going back to the pet shop tomorrow to see if they have any that came in. The whole explaination of the surface agitation/oxygen makes a lot of sense. I'm also thinking of adding an air pump with air stones also.

Back
Top Bottom