Sick angel... Need help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I have been trying to find out what is wrong with my angelfish for a while now so hopefully someone here can help.
The problem is my angel can't stay upright in the water and spends all his time stuck on his side. He does not float nor is his belly bloated so I don't think he has swim bladder, but I'm no expert! He has been like this for a while now and is still eating. I have noticed that he is missing a ventral fin and was wondering could this be the reason for his problems? If so can he be helped?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Sorry to hear this. Will advise if I find out anything in my readings. I have four angels myself!

We just need to know a few more details to get more of an idea what could he wrong. How big is your tank? How long has it been set up? What other kinds of fish do you have and how many? What are your parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Is your tank cycled? Are any other fish having symptoms? How often do you do a water change?

We just need to know a few more details to get more of an idea what could he wrong. How big is your tank? How long has it been set up? What other kinds of fish do you have and how many? What are your parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Is your tank cycled? Are any other fish having symptoms? How often do you do a water change?
Very important. In addition, how long have you had the angels and how big is it?

The tank has been set up for almost 2 yrs now so it is fully cycled, with all my other community fish and other angels doing well. I do a water change approximately once a fortnight and all my levels are good, no ammonia etc etc. The sick angel was the boss of the tank and always quite happy. One day he just went really quiet and then I found him on his side. From then on he has been unable to stay upright. He has been like this for a couple of months now and i know I should possibly have put him out if his misery but I was really hoping I could figure out what is going on! As I said he doesn't appear to have swim bladder and otherwise seems pretty healthy. I read that the ventral fins purpose is to provide stability in the water which is why I thought this may be the issue, but I really have no idea!!

How old is he? Not to nit-pick, but its easier for us to help if you answer all the questions we posted in detail.
I am sorry about your angel and I hope he pulls through.

Sorry guys. The angel is around 2yrs old and approximately 5-6cm big. He is in a 200 liter tank with around 7 other community fish so he has plenty of room to move. My ph is around 7 with my kh and gh around 50ppm. Ammonia and nitrite are 0.

Oh my. That is rather puzzling. He is old enough to be past the dangers of premature death, has no bulges or wounds, your water params are good. I agree that a ventral fin shouldn't be an issue.
Do any other fish show any signs of illness, or just the angel?

All my other fish are good, it is only the angel that is sick. When searching to find out what could be wrong with him all the readings indicated swim bladder, but as I said he doesn't float (more so sinks to the bottom) and isn't bloated. He actually seems quite skinny (if a fish can be skinny!)

All my other fish are good, it is only the angel that is sick. When searching to find out what could be wrong with him all the readings indicated swim bladder, but as I said he doesn't float (more so sinks to the bottom) and isn't bloated. He actually seems quite skinny (if a fish can be skinny!)
Usually, swim bladder issues are accompanied by a lopsided bloated look. One side usually looks bigger than the other. The skinniness is more likely from him not eating rather being an actual symptom. Have you been able to get him to eat anything? Like blood worms or anything? Swim bladder issues could indeed still be the culprit however since he has trouble staying upright in the water.

What were you feeding him beforehand?

Not having a large stomach doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have a swim-bladder problem or bloat. One of my goldfish died like that even though it looked fine.

I feed my fish a variety of food; brine shrimp, blood worms and granules. The angel is eating although it can be difficult for him to actually get to the food. If he does have swim bladder is there anything I can do or is it just a matter of time before he dies? Should I put him out of his misery?

Back
Top Bottom