Sick Balloon Molly & Skirt tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank info

37 gallon aquarium, 1/2 live plants, 1/2 plastic. Double filtration, 75% water change every week, established for 8 or more months.

Water readings are Nitrite 0, pH 7.4, Nitrates .5, Ammonia 0. These numbers are always pretty steady. Test with API liquid Test Kit

Current Stock:

2 algae eaters
3 balloon mollies
10 guppies
2 danios
5 glowfish danios
5 Skirt Tetras
5 glass catfish
2 red wag platies
2 african dwarf frogs

No new fish added for 6 weeks or more (that was 3 Skirt tetras and 1 glowfish danio).

Problem: Two fish have not looked or acted well for a week or more - a small skirt tetra which was added about 6 weeks ago and a balloon molly.

The skirt tetra swims around but does not act like the others. Almost lethargic. The balloon molly about 4 days ago started staying at the bottom and hiding. Both will feed if something floats nearby but will make no overt gesture to go to the food itself.

No signs of ick (we had that in an old tank last year so I learned quick what it looks like!) or markings/distress on their bodies or fins. No bulging eyes, or bloating. Coloring seems fine.

I have removed these fish and quarantined them into a bucket (no second tank) with a heater, plants, etc).

No other fish in the tank seem to have any issues.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Have you seen them poop recently? If so, did it look normal?
Any chance they were being bullied by other fish?
Are they still acting lethargic in the quarantine bucket?

I have not seen them relieve themselves but there were waste products at the bottom of the quarantine last night.

It won't be until tonight that I see how they are today.

I have not seen any bullying but the skirt tetra has appeared to be separated from the other skirts from day 1.

Ok. Look for clear, stringy poop. That can be a sign of an internal parasite.
Black skirts and mollies can sometimes be bullies, so I wouldn't totally rule it out that there is some bullying going on, but typically that would be accompanied by nipped fins or some other sign. But, not always.
Let us know how they act in the bucket and let us know if there are any changes. Hopefully its not anything serious.

Back
Top Bottom