sick balloon molly...need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zachary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a silver balloon molly that just expanded a lot. She is not pregnant. it happened in one day, she was fine when I left for work and when I got back she was as round as a golf ball. I will try and get a picture for you to see. Any ideas of what it could be?

help!

the same thing happened to me.

our ballon molly appears to have popeye (both eyes are poppin' out of his skull, with some bubbly stuff around them) and he's suddenly as round as a buffet restaurant customer!!!

did you find anything out, or does anyone have any idea of what this is?

disrespectforjoy@yahoo.com

thanks.

====
10 gallon:
pink gourami
2 long finned tetras
2 albino cory's
2 glass catfish
2 albino buenos aries tetras

20 gallon:
7 ballon molly's (babies!)
1 zebra danio
1 long finned zebra danio
2 clown loaches
1 marble botia
2 indian dwarf puffers
2 otosinclus catfish

10 gallon:
1 asian upside down catfish
1 spotted raphael catfish
1 blue snail

5 gallon:
1 betta
1 goldfish
3 rose minnows

2 gallon:
1 rose minnow (med size)
1 ramshorn snail
1 betta (all white)

[center:74263794e8] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, vhs and Zachary! :n00b:S [/center:74263794e8]
Zachary said:
it happened in one day, she was fine when I left for work and when I got back she was as round as a golf ball.
Sounds like bloating. Do not feed the fish tomorrow and the next day feed peas. I like to use frozen peas. Nuke them for a few seconds and then peel. My Mollies eat them while, but you may need to cut them in half.
It may not be bloating, but that is the easiest to treat! What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? How long have you had this fish? Have any fish been added recently?

vhs said:
our ballon molly appears to have popeye (both eyes are poppin' out of his skull, with some bubbly stuff around them) and he's suddenly as round as a buffet restaurant customer!!!
When, saddle up to the feed-bar (I just love buffet jokes)!
Unfortunately, your fish is very ill. QT it right away. This is an infection that could be due to bacteria or parasites. What are your water parameters? How long have you had this fish? Have any new fish been added to the tank lately?
This is a great article on pop-eye:
http://www.aquamaniacs.net/popeye.html
What does the "bubbly stuff" look like? If this pop-eye is due to nitrogen gas build up, water changes with correct the problem. How often are you doing water changes now? Do you vacuum the gravel when you do water changes?

There's so much more I can tell you about proper care of your fish, but you are both on the right track finding this site and asking questions. Please keep up dating the conditions of your fish and we will be able to help!

Back
Top Bottom