Sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahgillian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).*
* *A male betta. Ive had him for 2 years with no problems. I did a water change and added new gravel last week and he became lethargic and pale. When I came home yesterday he was laying on his side breathing heavily. He then began swimming like a crazy fish and scratching on anything and everything. I examined him again and discovered small white flecks all over him. I believe he has ich.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.*
* *0, 0, 0, 78 F, and im not sure.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?*
* *2.5 gallons. Its been set up for 4 months. Previously he was in a gallon tank. Im moving on Tuesday and plan to get him a 10 gallon tank with filtration.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.*
* *None.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?*
* *Just Fred (the betta). He is 4 inches long including his tail.*

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
* *Last night I did a 100% water change and removed all decorations and gravel. Basically I turned it into a quarantine tank. Normally I do 50% water change every other day and a 100% water change once a week.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?*
* *over 2 years

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
* *I added new gravel last week. He previously had those glass marble things but I noticed the color was chipping off. I thought he might eat it so I got him some normal freshwater fish gravel.*

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?*
* *Tetrabetta pellets and SF bay frozen blood worms. I added the blood worms 3 months ago and he loves them.

Other notes:
* *After discovering ich, I ran to petsmart and bought some Kordon Rid-Ich Plus. I have treated him as directed on the bottle. He is doing MUCH better now. He is sitting upright again and swimming around. He survived the night so *fingers crossed* that he'll survive the move. I plan on continuing treatment for 2 weeks to ensure all the ich is gone.*

I've used that medication before and that stuff is nasty! In my experience heat is the best treatment for ich... No salt, no meds. Just slowly raise the temp up to about 86 over the next few days and leave it that way for a few days to a week after you see all the white spots on his body gone. Keep up the water changes and gravel vacs. Getting him in a 10g eventually will be the best thing for him. I think 2.5 is too small. You'll love how active he is in a larger tank as well.

Billbug68 said:
I've used that medication before and that stuff is nasty! In my experience heat is the best treatment for ich... No salt, no meds. Just slowly raise the temp up to about 86 over the next few days and leave it that way for a few days to a week after you see all the white spots on his body gone. Keep up the water changes and gravel vacs. Getting him in a 10g eventually will be the best thing for him. I think 2.5 is too small. You'll love how active he is in a larger tank as well.

He seems to be doing better today. Hes hanging around the bubbler a lot. I think its because the air stone is the only thing for him to scratch on. Im about to do another water change right now. There are SO many white things floating in the water. is that dead ich?? it almost looks like small dandruff floating around. I know it wasnt there last night because I watched him for an hour before I went to bed. its hard to see but I attached a picture and you can see some of the specks floating around

Attachments

• image-2585968239.jpg
    image-2585968239.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 76
sarahgillian said:
He seems to be doing better today. Hes hanging around the bubbler a lot. I think its because the air stone is the only thing for him to scratch on. Im about to do another water change right now. There are SO many white things floating in the water. is that dead ich?? it almost looks like small dandruff floating around. I know it wasnt there last night because I watched him for an hour before I went to bed. its hard to see but I attached a picture and you can see some of the specks floating around

From what I've read about the life cycle of ich, is it grows on the fish then detaches itself, floats around, reproduces, then tries to find another host. I'm not sure if it's something that should be visible though... Not sure on that one but, from what I've read when it's free floating is when it's susceptible to the meds or heat or whatever. That's when the stuff will die off.

You can't see ich floating around in water. That is something else. Could it be from the new gravel?

possibly? however I took all the gravel out last night before doing the water change and never put it back in. I heard you want as little as possible in quarantine so bacteria has no where to breed. I finished the water change and hes back in there now. so far no white specks so maybe it was the gravel. could he have something else causing the specks?

Let's see what happens. It could be something else but since you changed the gravel it seems to be the likely culprit.

Sadly, Fred died yesterday :( His ich looked better but he developed possibly a swim bladder problem. He would stay at the bottom on his side and couldnt sit up properly. Im thinking an internal parasite caused an infection to his swim bladder. Can anyone confirm if I might be right?

The saddest part for me was that I actually watched him take his last breath. I was checking on him and his breathing was slow and then it stopped. :(

But he lived a great life and seemed to be a very happy fish. He was always so active and loved to flare his gills at us then blow us bubbles :) I will definitely never forget him. Rest In Fishy Paradise Fred!

Attachments

• image-3966690115.jpg
    image-3966690115.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom