Sick Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sister just got a new betta from Petco (it's the closest fish store), and already it is showing signs of illness. It seems to not be able to sink, and struggles to get to the bottom, only to float back up. I have no idea of what's going on, so any advice is welcomed! My only idea is that the water was poor enough in the jar that it started breathing a lot of air, but this is probably wrong.

Did a little research, which I probably should have done first, and came to the conclusion it is an air bladder infection or something like that. I will have her give it a little bit of prepared pea, but not to much as that would just worsen it. I would wait, but who knows if/how often the fish was fed.

Title says sick betta... First line includes petco... Well theres your problem!

Hi. Good luck. My Betta was a cup fish and sadly had a load of health issues the first few weeks. He made it though, so there is hope.
What food do you have? To be safe either feed cooked (in tank water) pea bits or fast it for a couple days. I would not advise any freeze dried foods or pre soak in tank water if you must feed freeze dried.

Also water quality must be kept very clean especially if you don't have a "cycle" established of beneficial bacteria in your filter to break down his/her waste. This type of BB colony can take a few weeks to develop on its own, so large water changes for the next few weeks as often as possible, hopefully daily.

I believe she got the hikari tiny Betta pellets, and some freeze dried bloodworms, in addition to the hikari frozen bloodworms i have plenty of. For now I will have her feed it prepared peas, probably every other day or every 2-3 days.

Not sure if the pea did it, or if the betta just was sick from its Petco cup, but about 1 1/2 hours after the pea, the betta is happily swimming wherever it chooses, we will still give it a little bit of pea just in case

Back
Top Bottom