Sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremydailey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post I've been reading since a got into the hobby about 4 months ago. My betta has a sore on its body and on its head. I woke up this morning and noticed it.

My parameters are good. I check them daily with the master API test kit.
Ph. 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate. Around 5.
Eat is at 84-86 due to ick. Which is pretty much gone. ( with an airstone running)

10 gallon tank. Aqueon quiet flo 10 I believe. The one that comes with the kit..

There are 3 neon tetras in the tank as well. Which are the ones who got Ick the betta showed no signs. I did a water change yesterday. I do water changes once a week about 20%. With a gravel vacuum. I've been doing it every other day recently to get rid of the ick.

Here are some picsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400176508.568528.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400176585.752083.jpg

Hi, welcome to AA.

I'd say the temp increase has set off an infection. Once the ich has no more visible signs after 10 days then I'd lower the temp down to normal.

I'd try over the counter meds for fungal infection. Not pimafix or melafix or betta fix though as looks more serious than these can treat. Run a course and see if there is improvement.

Thanks for the reply! I am waiting my ten days right now. The ick hasn't been visible for a couple days. I'll try some medication when I get a chance to go to my lfs. Do you think it's possible he may have tried to go inside a shell I got about a month ago. Here's a pic of the shell.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400286547.668664.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I am waiting my ten days right now. The ick hasn't been visible for a couple days. I'll try some medication when I get a chance to go to my lfs. Do you think it's possible he may have tried to go inside a shell I got about a month ago. Here's a pic of the shell.View attachment 237467

Sorry, I thought you were a bit further along. It's possible on the shell as it could of scratched the scales and slime coat giving infection a point of entry.

I'd pick up the medication and see if you can get a fungal / ich combination. And say at day 5 drop the temp and treat the betta.

3 or 4 days is possible to get rid of ich - I've done that at 30C but it's going to be trying to finish off making sure ich is gone and this infection which is your next problem unfortunately.

The ick is gone. I haven't purchased any medication yet. I don't really want to put any medication in my tank and I don't have a qt to tank to put him in. But he's looking a lot better. Do you think it's alright to treat the whole tank.
Thanks for the replies!
View attachment 237744

Should be fine to treat the entire tank if you have no QT. Do you have a water test kit at all? Even strips? Sometimes the meds can knock the good bacteria around so always handy to test ammonia to keep an eye on it.

How better is he looking? Sometimes just pwc's every second or third day will allow recovery without meds if he is improving already.

I posted a pic but it's not loading here's another with just w/c. I think ill stick with no meds.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400623047.852423.jpg

Yup. He's looking a lot better. I do have a test kit. The master API. I test the water every other day.. The water has been perfect for as long as I can remember. He is still acting normal and making bubble nests. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom