Sick Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chadda8708

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do you guys know what is wrong with my Betta? Is she pregnant? This photo was taken about 8 12 hours after a feeding!

Time spent with cats is never wasted

Her stomach is the size of a large pea

I don't see any photo...but from what you described, it sounds like overfeeding. Did you notice it right after feeding?

I don't see any photo...but from what you described, it sounds like overfeeding. Did you notice it right after feeding?

Whoops sorry forgot to add the photo! ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424903131.033391.jpg

And no It has been going on for 4 days now ?

shes not pregnant shes bloated. probably over feeding, and poor water quality. peas, peas, and peas will help. lookup peas and constipation in fish.

shes not pregnant shes bloated. probably over feeding, and poor water quality. peas, peas, and peas will help. lookup peas and constipation in fish.

Ok thank u should I cook the peas?

Could try adding epsom to the tank as well but be careful with it as it can dehydrate them. Wouldn't go longer than 7 days with epsom (it acts as a laxative). Also if you do epsom get the dosage requirements (dint remember off the top of my head I am sorry) and make sure it is not dyed and just pure salt.

Just remember that the bettas stomach is tiny. Around the size of its eye they say. Flake food and pellets are very dry and some contain large amounts of protein that is not easily digested and results in constipation.

Cook the peas and pinch them out of their shells. Squish them up a bit and put them in the tank. One will do for now but try to incorporate peas in to the diet once a week.

Buy them frozen to reduce the possibility of pesticides or anything else or buy organic and then freeze them.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some people debate whether or not betta should haave peas since they're carnivores. Frozen daphnia also works well for the laxative effect for a weekly basis type thing. Just wanted to add that in. :)

However in times of crisis such as this I'd use a pea.

Thanks a lot everybody! ?

Some people debate whether or not betta should haave peas since they're carnivores. Frozen daphnia also works well for the laxative effect for a weekly basis type thing. Just wanted to add that in. :)

However in times of crisis such as this I'd use a pea.

I've never been convinced on this that vegetable matter can be bad for a fish, even a carnivore. Thoughts? Been wondering on this myself :)

I've never been convinced on this that vegetable matter can be bad for a fish, even a carnivore. Thoughts? Been wondering on this myself :)

I'm very cautious about it. It's been shown that fish can't digest lipids from terrestrial plants very well because they lack the right enzymes for it, and so these fats can be stored up in certain tissues and lead to serious problems down the road.

Granted, I think it's not an issue on occasion but definitely not something I would give regularly, especially to a carnivore.

Back
Top Bottom