Sick betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I have a male betta who has started acting weird. I acquired him from a friend who bought him at a pet store and decided he didn't want it after a few days. He came to me in a 0.75 gallon tank that featured the gravel, one small plant, an ornament, an automatic heater, and a dim light.

He stayed with me like that for a day and I dug out an old 1 gallon tank that I had. This one at least has a small filter. I moved him over into the 1 gallon with the heater and I could tell he was acting a bit different. When he first arrived, I could open the top of the hood on his .75 gallon tank and he'd swim to the top to eat. He would swim around and seemed to be quite happy in his tiny home (as happy as can be).

Now that he is in my spare 1 gallon tank, he has started to rest at the bottom. I noticed that the filter often pushes his food away and he can't get it. Most of it ends up at the bottom of the tank. I checked the temperature with one of those strips that you stick on to the outside of the tank, and it read 86 degrees (which is the highest the readings go).

I thought this might be too hot for him, so I sampled the water. It was indeed quite warm, so I unplugged the heater and opened the lid for a few hours. Now the temperature is at 80 degrees and he is swimming around more.

I thought betta's liked temperatures in the mid 80's, but he seems to be reacting better to a cooler temp. He is scared of the water flowing back in from the filter, even though the water level is so high it hardly disturbs the surface.

Do you think the temperature could be the problem with his inactivity? I know he needs at least a 10 gallon tank to thrive, and that's the plan for this week, but until then I want to make sure he is comfortable. Comparing to his .75 gallon tank, he moves around a lot less in the 1 gallon. What are your thoughts?

Hey guys,

I have a male betta who has started acting weird. I acquired him from a friend who bought him at a pet store and decided he didn't want it after a few days. He came to me in a 0.75 gallon tank that featured the gravel, one small plant, an ornament, an automatic heater, and a dim light.

He stayed with me like that for a day and I dug out an old 1 gallon tank that I had. This one at least has a small filter. I moved him over into the 1 gallon with the heater and I could tell he was acting a bit different. When he first arrived, I could open the top of the hood on his .75 gallon tank and he'd swim to the top to eat. He would swim around and seemed to be quite happy in his tiny home (as happy as can be).

Now that he is in my spare 1 gallon tank, he has started to rest at the bottom. I noticed that the filter often pushes his food away and he can't get it. Most of it ends up at the bottom of the tank. I checked the temperature with one of those strips that you stick on to the outside of the tank, and it read 86 degrees (which is the highest the readings go).

I thought this might be too hot for him, so I sampled the water. It was indeed quite warm, so I unplugged the heater and opened the lid for a few hours. Now the temperature is at 80 degrees and he is swimming around more.

I thought betta's liked temperatures in the mid 80's, but he seems to be reacting better to a cooler temp. He is scared of the water flowing back in from the filter, even though the water level is so high it hardly disturbs the surface.

Do you think the temperature could be the problem with his inactivity? I know he needs at least a 10 gallon tank to thrive, and that's the plan for this week, but until then I want to make sure he is comfortable. Comparing to his .75 gallon tank, he moves around a lot less in the 1 gallon. What are your thoughts?
Hi jc102:

I suppose it's possible that he's reacting to the change in temperature; it sounds like there was quite a bit of variation. He may also be stressed by the water movement from the filter (bettas tend to like still water). Have you checked the water parameters of the 1 gallon? Is there any way to reduce or baffle the filter outflow at all?

I can add water to it so that the outflow doesn't disturb the water as much. I did this and he started eating more, but he still sits at the bottom of the tank from time to time.

I can add water to it so that the outflow doesn't disturb the water as much. I did this and he started eating more, but he still sits at the bottom of the tank from time to time.

They like to rest frequently. You can get a betta hammock or a wide-leaved plant, he might like that too.

That Temp seems too hot for such a small tank. If possible try to upgrade to a larger tank. I can tell when something has changednwith my betta. Instead of his usual active and curious self, he would hide or stay at the bottom of the tank for long periods. Once we movednhim from a 1.75G to a 10G, he really perked up. His personai
Ty shined through even more.

Back
Top Bottom