Sick betta fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I just noticed that one of my betta's eyes are popping out. It also has a grey-ish haze to it. Honestly, it freaked me out for a minute, but I did a little research and found some info on popeye. If this is what is wrong with my betta, what can I do to treat it? I read that Epsom salts can help, but I am not sure how much to use in his 5-gallon tank or if there is a specific brand or other alternatives out there.

I'm not sure why he has it. I keep his tank clean and do frequent water changes. I use Prime conditioner and have a heater so the temperature is stable.

The only thing that has changed since I have noticed his eye is the addition of a large crocodile skull decoration.
shopping

What are your thoughts?

I just switched him over to a new tank (from a 1 gallon) about 2 weeks ago. He's alone in the 5 gallon. I change the water every two days. He hasn't been eating as much either.

Go here for some answers: http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/fish-popeye.htm
What I have to say about that is did you cycle your tank? And do a weekly water change so the bacteria has time to multiply. But if it is Caused, by Ammonia, Nitrite, and/or Nitrate causes then keep doing water changes every 2 days until the parameters are good. So what are your parameters? Do you use water conditioner?

Yes, I use Seachem's Prime conditioner. The tank is not cycled yet. I'm doing a fish in cycle. I'll do a water test here in a minute to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Yes, I use Seachem's Prime conditioner. The tank is not cycled yet. I'm doing a fish in cycle. I'll do a water test here in a minute to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Great, I use Seachem Prime also, the best way to cycle a tank is fish less, that is probably the reason your Betta has pop eye. Use Seachem stability to cycle tanks.[emoji846]

Do you have filter on his tank?

Yes, I have a Whisper filter that came with the tank.
Here are the readings from the last water test. I used the API Master Test Kit.

ph 7.8
ammonia 0.5 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm

Could the new decoration (the crocodile skull) have possibly injured his eye? I know he was swimming through the small openings (the eyes) but I'm not sure if that would cause injury.

Yes, I have a Whisper filter that came with the tank.
Here are the readings from the last water test. I used the API Master Test Kit.

ph 7.8
ammonia 0.5 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm

Could the new decoration (the crocodile skull) have possibly injured his eye? I know he was swimming through the small openings (the eyes) but I'm not sure if that would cause injury.

Honestly I've done alot of fish in cycles. If u just moved him in he might have been a little stress and just trying to adjust to the water. Watch him for like 3 days if the haze doesn't go away. Just do a 15% water change you don't want to mess with him too much and u don't want to ruin you cycle cause if you keep changing your water you won't give the cycle time to catch up. Bettas are badass toughies.. I have a ton. Have some faith in him. . If you can take a picture of your fish that would be helpful..

Also no he probably didn't hurt his eyes. Fish are usually careful unless some one attacked him or if he got spiked and hit himself

Back
Top Bottom