Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2017, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Betta Fish

Background: I have had a male betta fish (I don't remember what kind) for about 8 months in a 5 gallon, heated, tank with a couple ghost shrimp and 2 snails. He is usually pretty active and swims throughout the tank. I have struggled treating what appears to be an incredibly aggressive form of fin rot. Ever since I got him, his fins have been degrading. I have tried everything to stop this. I have sanded down all possible sharp edges of the ornaments, used small amounts of aquarium salt, have done salt dips, used Furan-2 in the tank, have done 100% water changes and extensively cleaned the tank...nothing ever fixed it. Having said all this, I am here for a different reason.

For the last week to week and a half, my betta fish has been acting very sickly and lethargic. He either lays around at the bottom of the tank or rests on the pump out-port near the top. I hardly see him swimming around anymore. I did a 50% water change last week and added some salt, but he continued to act the same way. Two days ago, I checked the water conditions and it was 0 ammo but .5 nitrite. I immedietly changed the water, and have not seen elevated readings since. Nevertheless, he is still acting the same.

I had a feeling that this might be swim bladder disorder, and fasted him for the past two days. Today I fed him part of a cooked pea, which he gobbled up, but continued to act lethargic on the bottom or top of the tank. Occasionally, I'll poke him to make sure he is alive, and he'll swim about for 30 or so seconds. Usually when he does swim around, he makes these very spastic movements, before going to the top or bottom of the tank again.

Do you think this is a bacterial infection? Or a parasite? Or just swim bladder disorder? I would appreciate all the help I can get! Thank you.

Attached is a picture of the main spot he likes to lay down at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170429_224843674 (1).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	298692  

Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sad news. Unless you have added anything recently I'd count out parasites (hopefully). Bacterial infection possible since he already had fin rot. I guess swim bladder issues also possible - cause? bacterial?

The trick will be curing. I assume substrate is pretty clean / gets gravel vac'd?

How is the temperature in tank?

Old 05-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #3

I do clean the gravel often. Temp is currently 82F
Old 05-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Tank looked good, couldn't see much detritus.

You could try lowering temp to 75 - 76 slowly and see if that helps. There has been discussion locally on raising/lowering temps, personally I find higher temps don't help, especially temp spikes where bacterial.

After that medicated feed.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #5

Do you think I should grab medication? Or just let it be for a few days?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd grab the medication if nothing has improved him over a week and a half I think it as.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #7

what medication do you suggest?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:20 AM   #8
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd go for medicated feed with antibiotics or metronidazole and try that. Did you repeat the furan 2 meds or one course?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am having a similar issue! My Betta looks skinny, his stomach is sunken in. But he hasn't been inactive until the last couple weeks and he loves to lay by the filter.

Tags
betta, betta fish, disease, fish, ick, sick, sick betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com