Sick Betta - Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjholup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our male Betta has developed white spots on his tail. There are no spots on his body. He is the only inhabitant in a 10 gallon, filtered tank. He's almost 2 years old and has seemed healthy and happy until about a month ago. He's been slowing down, and spends more time "hiding" in the foliage in his tank than he used to. I attributed it to old age, but now that I see the spots, maybe he's sick. Help?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464789280.046146.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464789292.320749.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think this is ich but hard to tell. Is it like white sugar grains? Also have you added anything recently - even plants? It must have been introduced recently if it is ich.

Hi - thanks for the response! No, it doesn't look like sugar grains. It almost looks like spots on his tail have faded in color. Like they are very light blue against the darker blue. And again, only on his tail - there is nothing on his body. Is this the fish equivalent of going gray? Haha.

Forgot to add - no, we haven't added anything to the tank. Thanks again.

Sounds a little like old age or a natural colour change. Just to be safe - have you checked water chemistry? Also nothing changed with tap water used for water changes?

I haven't checked the chemistry recently, but I'll do so. Don't know if there have been changes in our tap water. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom