Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Betta Update - Not Good

I sent a message a couple weeks ago about a betta that had a white growth on its side about the size of a pea. I moved him into 1 gal tank so I could medicate him away from the community tank he was in. He was active and eating then the white growth burst open (after medicating for several days). The growth is disappearing but now he has a hole in his side that looks like if it got any deeper you could see through him. What is left of the white growth is turning black on top. He just lays in the bottom of the tank now, won't eat, and once in a while he hurries up to the top of the water to get air then back down to the bottom. Is there anything I can do or is it too late? I am not sure he could heal from such a open wound. Is it time to euthanize him? If the latter, what is the best way to do it for a betta. I know putting him in the freezer would only cause terrible pain from what I've read in this forum. I hate to have to euthanize him but I don't want him to suffer and die a slow death either...which he might be doing anyway. I have never seen such a growth on a fish before...hope I don't run into this one ever again.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I am so sorry to hear the betta has taken such a turn for the worse. IMO it may be time to euthanize him. There is much debate on the best method. Here is a thread describing the different methods.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sick Betta Update - He died

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz View Post
I am so sorry to hear the betta has taken such a turn for the worse. IMO it may be time to euthanize him. There is much debate on the best method. Here is a thread describing the different methods.
Reply:
The betta died tonight before I could euthanize him--I am sad. He seemed better when I hadn't medicated him yet but I'm sure whatever it was growing on and in him would have killed him without treatment--if it was a fungus I had not see it like that before. The white growth was disappearing but broke off in chunks (which was weird) and that is when the hole appeared. So whatever it was had a good hold on him. My fault that I waited so long to medicate him...the medication was working but just too late. I really have not seen a growth like that on a fish before and hope I never see that again. It all started with a small scratch and the rest of history. I'll treat the fish a lot sooner next time--doubt I'll buy any more bettas--they seem to get sick too easily. I still have one left in another tank...he's pretty much of a loner and doesn't swim up to me like the other one did but at least he's doing well.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about your betta. Don't blame yourself about not treating sooner - it's hard to tell sometimes, and you don't want to overmedicate. I have had bettas that got sick and died quickly despite my best efforts to use medicine. Then I have had other bettas that never got the least bit sick and lived a long time. I'm sorry for your loss - that does sound like a terrible thing to see on a fish. I hope your other betta is doing well.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is true that it is very difficult to know when to medicate, or not medicate. We've all been there and we've all questioned ourselves. I'm sure your betta had a good life while you had him.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, ick, sick, sick betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com