Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick bichir/missing algae eater

I acquired a 30 gallon tank that already had a S. bichir, Chinese algae eater, and a ram. snail. The transition to my house has been great for 2 weeks until now. The algae eater is missing (no remains whatsoever) and the bichir is not as active. It eats fine, but it barely gets up from the bottom of the tank. Also, there is a strange looking object on the bottom of the tank. It resembles a 1-1.5" long spiral snail or even a joint. Sounds strange, but that's the best description I have for it. It's grayish. Could this be the bichir's feces?

Could it have eaten the algae eater and is now blocked? Parasite? Please help. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you post a picture of the unidentified object?

Could you post the results of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests?

The most likely culprit is ammonia poisoning. After moving a tank the system is often shocked and can not process ammonia into nitrate as quickly as it did before. In a large tank with only two fish, it may have taken a couple weeks for the ammonia to build to a toxic level. Water changes will help this condition, you want to keep the ammonia below .5 ppm.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, algae eater, chi, eat, eater, ich, ick, missing, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com