Sick black ghost knife fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rabin Singh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 little black ghosts. About 2 inches in size. I noticed white spots on them. Could it be ICH? Or some sort of fungus? I've been treating the tank with a general aid. Any help would be appreciated. Just few days ago my other fish (black moor and gold fish) got white spots, became inactive and ended up dead. Also their tail had been nibbled off. Probably by the BGK's. Anyway, I don't want to lose them too. There's a pic attached. IMG_20170716_222451.jpgIMG_20170716_222500.jpg

Can't tell by the pic, what are your water parameters? Ich looks like the fish has sugar on them, fungus is white fuzzy patches, by what you said about the other 2 losses sounds like a fungus , but I can't really say or give advice without a good pic. And then really im no expert at fish illnesses

You definitely need a test kit if you're going to maintain a tank long-term. Do not, however, use test strips as they are highly inaccurate.

From what I can see in the picture, it most certainly looks like ich. You can use medicines to heal them if you should desire to, although there is a way to do it without having to use any. Bump the temperature up to over 80 degrees Fahrenheit, but do it slowly, about two degrees per day. Keep doing water changes. And, soon enough with heat and clean water, ich should be killed off.

Yea i will definitely buy a test kit. I change water everyday now. And for the past two days I've been adding about 2-3 drops of general aid and the aquarium shop guy suggested I use MOX capsules (anti biotic) to stop the ICH parasit from multiplying.
Do you guys think this could work?

Api master liquid test kit Pronto, BGK'S are scaless so meds/salt can make it worse, but you can do kosher salt at half the dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water, raise tank temp slowly to 84-86 degrees (over a day or 2) for 2 weeks, do 2 pwc's a week (10%) gravel vac very thoroughly to get the spores that have fallen off into the gravel so they can't reattach, don't stop treatment when you don't see no more spots do it for the full 2 weeks. After 2 weeks gradually lower the tank back to the normal temp (over a day or 2) and after the temp is back to normal do a bigger pwc 30%

Back
Top Bottom