Sick Cherry Barb. (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).Red swelling near the anal hole.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Ammonia 0 Nitirite 0 Nitrate 30
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 24 gallons set up since dec.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. aquaclear 30
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? see sig
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? last weekHow often do you do this? 1 a weekHow much water do you remove at a time? 25 %
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? since feb
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No
9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Flakes blood worms

ERRG ANOTHER SICK FISH! Hopefully i can actually save this one. WHat should i do?

Could be intestinal parasites like camalanus. Jungle makes an anti-parasite food. The other options are dosing the tank with metronidazole or levamisole (which works better but is very hard to find-try vetrinary or farm supply stores). I'm not sure about dosage but you should be able to search the site for those two meds for more info. Blood worms will sometimes bring in parasites.

it's weird that you say that about frozen blood worms. That is the only difference I had with my molly, she started with this red area around the anal fin, then started having clear/whitish poo that was very stringy, then swimming weird, like her tail was down. It sounded like an internal parasite, but I didn't catch it in time. I do remember though at the very beginning the red area around her anal fin....I can't tell you what to do, but I am wondering if the frozen blood worms can't have some type of parasite and once it is dethawed and eaten it is still a parasite...heck, they can live through a lot of stuff from what I hear...I don't know if this will help, but I do remember my molly starting off just like this, and the only thing different that I did was give the frozen blood worms. We lost her the last day of March :( Try to catch it now, if you can...

ive been feeding anti parasite food... I hope that will help, as she is still eating thank god! But i was sure that 2 of my cherry barbs had an internal parasite. Everyone told me to feed this food but they wouldnt eat! Pretty Helpful hey? LOL They kept getting skinnier and skinnier. One of them died and the other one is still very skinny. Hopefully it will get better......

Back
Top Bottom