Sick comet goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might have to find something stronger than Melafix, he is looking pretty bad. :(
If the ammonia get above .25, you will need to do a pwc ASAP. When the ammonia is up, the meds don't really work all that well. If you have to do 2 pwc's a day, that's fine.

Man, he is tore up. Honestly, I would humanely euthanize him because the tail is damaged past the base, which means it's probably painful and won't grow back. Get a Tupperware container with tank water, 2tbs of Clove oil, and shake it really well till it looks mixed up (obviously oil and water don't bind, but it can swish together) and put mr.comet fishy in there. It is an anesthetic, slows all body functions and literally they fall asleep, kinda like a coma, after 30 minutes, (stir with spoon to keep oil mixed) look at his gills REALLY closely for at least 2 minutes to look for movement. If there is no movement, you can put him in the freezer for good measure, or dispose of him.

Sorry dude,

Well I would be lying if I haven't thought about that although I'm not sure if I could go through with it. I hate to see him suffering, hence why I have really put in the effort to make conditions as best I can but it doesn't seem to be doing any good.
Anyone else agree with last post?

His rot has gone past the base of his tail, and I doubt it will ever grow back normally, but he still might have a chance. If he starts having trouble swimming though, I would euthanize him.
For the clove oil, mix tank water with the oil, and shake until it looks milky, then do what Emi said. I have had to put 2 fish down that way, and it's no fun, but they were miserable with dropsy. :(

Back
Top Bottom