Sick comet goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goonermatt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
Got this comet for my kids at Christmas and he is a bit worse for wear so would like know peoples thoughts on his chances of survival. There was an issue with water quality which I have sorted with more regular and proper gravel cleaning but he was already showing signs of sickness in the form of some sort of fungus on his body. His fins and tail have been rapidly deteriorating (as you can see in pic) to the point of almost non existence. Today I gave him his third dose of pimafix as recommended by pet store but no signs of improvement yet, in fact still getting worse! Any further advise would be very welcome!!

Attachments

• image-2196810567.jpg
    image-2196810567.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 131
Poor little guy!

We can help you best with some additional information...size of tank, type of filter, recent water test results (from a drop-type kit, not test strips), frequency of water changes and how much per change?

Is he alone in the tank? That tail looks chewed, which is why I ask. If you can keep him alive, he may regrow enough tail to get around, in time. But something needs to be fixed!

It is a pretty small 30 litre tank (about 8 US gallons), he is on his own since the other comet died a week ago which I think was as a result of the water quality. Water last tested 3 days ago at pet store using liquid. Nitrite levels were fine but slightly high ammonia so did the recommended 25% change and a gravel clean. Before this I was doing 25% changes twice a week but I was told this was to much so now plan to do 10% a week instead. The tank is only about 10 weeks old and has a Marina filter which came in the kit. Changed the bio-clear filter a couple of days ago and carbon die for a change shortly. Hope this helps

Just checked the filter, it is a Marina s10 slim filter. Sorry not really up on all the technical info as I am only a beginner

Thanks for the link, looks like the right diagnosis. It says tail/fins can grow back as long as disease doesn't reach the base. Would the pimafix I am using help in this case or should I try something else?

I can't speak to the pimafix, because I have never used it. But I can speak to water quality issues: the causes, problems that result, and the ways to fix it! Lots of experince there.

You mentioned that you had problems with water quality, but believe that you have it fixed. Please do not be offended if I ask even more questions... sometimes people new to the hobby have recieved information from less-than-accurate sources, and need more (correct) info to really get to the bottom of the problem.

Do you know about the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle in a new aquarium? This is a VERY important chunk of info. If your fish were in the tank thru the cycle, that completely explains the fins...and the death of the other fish. A tank that small is too small for even one goldfish, even if the tank had been completely cycled first (without fish). If the fish were in there thru the cycle, the ammonia levels must have been thru the roof...hence the burned look to the fins. He may have sustained even worse damage to his gills...which may kill him before the tail does.

Additionally, the filters that come with kits are notoriously under-powered for the tank size that they come with. Kits are sold to be inexpensive, and the best place to cut back on price in a kit is the filter. BAD move on the kit makers part.

All of which is my long winded way of saying that you need to get a MUCH bigger tank, and a better filter, if you have any hope of keeping fish...especially goldfish. Goldfish produce more waste than other fish of the same size...more waste means more ammonia. (I have 6 small-medium fancy goldfish in a 75 gallon tank...with a MASSIVE Eheim cannister filter. I am pushing the limits pretty hard, but the tank has been cycled for 8 years and the water tests perfectly weekly.)

What might have saved this fish (and the other one) is MUCH larger and more frequent water changes. A tank that small would have needed DAILY WCs, 50% or more each time, minimum, to get thru a cycle with fish in the tank. I am glad to see that you are getting the water tested, but really look into getting a drop-type test kit of your own. A cycling tank needs to be tested daily. A test for pH is also needed. Ammonia is more toxic at some pH levels than others.

Did you throw out the old filter pad and put in a new one? Much of your beneficial bacteria for the cycle is in your filter material. Do not throw it out, just rinse and squish it in water removed during a water change to remove excess crud, and put it back. Change it only when it starts to fall apart. If you threw it out, you basically are starting the cycle over again, although there might be some good bacteria in your gravel by now.

Something else to know...not sure where you are getting your info but if it is from your local fish store...get very suspicious. Sales people do NOT always know what they are talking about. Get your info here...no one here is looking to sell you anything, and DO know what they are talking about...most of the time!;)

Unfortunately yes the fish were in there from the start. Had I have known about all the cycling at the time I would have gone about it differently and I would have assumed something so major would have been at least mentioned at the store. The only thing they said was to have the tank set up for a minimum of three days before adding the fish!
To be honest the ammonia levels must have been really high and it was quite smelly at times, all down to my lack of knowledge of fish keeping :(
On the filter side, when I change them I do throw the old one away perhaps before needed. I was only advised to make sure that I rinse the new one in the tank water rather than tap water.
I will definitely look into a new tank/filter and make sure I do a proper set up process next time, but I guess this means there is little hope for my comet as he would need to remain in the current tank?

Unfortunately yes the fish were in there from the start. Had I have known about all the cycling at the time I would have gone about it differently and I would have assumed something so major would have been at least mentioned at the store. The only thing they said was to have the tank set up for a minimum of three days before adding the fish!

Classic! Running the tank for 3 days did nothing but make sure that the water did not leak out of the tank. I would DEFINETLY not ask that place for any more advice!

"I was only advised to make sure that I rinse the new one in the tank water rather than tap water."

Again, pointless. You do not want to rinse your used filter materiel in tap water....the chlorine will knock down the good bacteria in it. But rinsing a new filter pad in old tank water does very little. There is almost no good bacteria in the water. Wow.

For now, get a test kit and test daily. Keeping the water clean and fresh may yet pull him thru. Daily water changes, WITH a dechlorinator (I recomend Prime), carefully temperature matched to what is in the tank. Some salt may help ease his stress. Get some non-iodized salt, with no yellow prussiate of soda. I use pickling salt. I am not sure of the actual dose in your case. Someone else may need to hop in here for that. (My math skills converting liters to gallons will not be helpful here...) But get some good salt on hand so you will be ready when someone comes up with a dose for you.

Thanks for the advise.
I do have some API aquarium salt but don't know how often I should be adding it (last time for just over a week ago).
Also, you say about daily water changes which is fine but what quantity would you recommend?

Didn't read through all of glassbirds responses, but I'm sure they were very helpful. Not sure if they suggested this or not, but Ill go ahead and suggest it anyways. Daily 50% water changes. Clean water is the absolute best thing you can do for it right now. Do them twice a day if you want. Just make sure the water going in the tank is the same temp as what is in there already.

mfdrookie beat me to it! Do a 50% WC daily for now, but get a test kit ASAP. That will tell you if you are doing enough, or need to do more. You may need to be doing 2 WCs in a day....50% each time. But we don't know for sure without the numbers.

If/when we get a salt dose for you, remember to add back in the amount of salt that is taken out at each water change. Doing a 50% WC keeps the math easy...say the dose was 1 teaspoon per gallon in a 10 gallon tank...you would be taking out 5 teaspoons with a 50% WC, so you just add 5 teaspoons with the new water. Not saying that is your dose...

Still hanging in there!
Taken your advice and got myself a proper testing set and have done 50% wc's for last 2 days.
Before last change ammonia was at 1.0, nitrites also 1.0 and nitrates between 20 and 40 so still room for improvement. Will keep persevering.

You can try to get some Stress-Coat/Zyme with aloe, and add that to the tank too. It will help with the new growth. I have had to use it with my bettas after I first got them.

Kudos to you for not giving up on the little guy.

I would be VERY careful about using a coating product like Stress Coat. It will add a "coat" to the gills as well as the body...I heard it described as "trying to breath thru vaseline". And this fish probably already has gills working at minimal capacity if they were burned by high levels of ammonia.

If anything, some salt may help, without impeding breathing. I am just not sure of the dose to suggest, as I have only ever used salt (once) for an outbreak of ich in a quarentine tank.

Come to think of it, is Stress Coat advisable for bettas? Don't they have some special breathing organ that can be damaged by some water chemicals? I think Melafix? I have never had a betta, but I seem to recall reading that somewhere...of course I could be completely wrong on this...

I'm not sure what my testing results mean at this stage.
Prior to my 50% pwc today, my levels were as follows:
Ammonia - 0.5
Nitrite - 0
Nitrates - 20-40

Can anyone advise whether I might still be cycling?

It doesn't sound like you are cycling, but your ammonia is high. I would do another water change ASAP, to get the ammonia to at least .25.

Ok, time for an update.
Before doing 50% pwc yesterday ammonia was at 0.5. Tested again today and back to the same reading. Fish is not really eating now either. Still using 5ml of pimafix every day but doesn't seem to be making any difference.
Here is an up to date picture as well.
Any recommendations?

Attachments

• image-3870649481.jpg
    image-3870649481.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom