Sick cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my three Agassizi Corys is swimming upside down, in circles, and getting stuck to the filter pipe. One side of his gills looks red, but I haven't got a really good look yet. My water paramteres are normal (8.0-8.2 pH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrires, 10 Nitrates), just did my weekly 50% water change before the test, I also added another cave for him to escape the current and the other fish. I think it may be abuse from a yoyo loach, but I'm not sure, 2 of the corys top fins look like they have been nipped a small bit and my bigger loach tends to chase everyone around. I have melafix, should I use it?

It does not sound very good. Red gills might mean internal infection, or a serious wound perhaps.

Most cories enjoy a current, so the fact he can't cope suggests he's very weak. If it is bacterial, it isn't very likely you can do anything about it. Melafix isn't going to touch an internal bacterial infection, and by the time we see symptoms like this, often it is too late anyway. Fish are like any other animal, they will try to hide that they are unwell until they can't anymore, by which time it's fairly well progressed, often beyond help.

I really hope I'm wrong on this.

Do you see any other signs of redness, streaks or on the belly ?

No streaks or anything like that, just that one side on his gills that's red. If it is my loach that is bullying them is there anything I can do? I added another plant and that cave so they have more places to hide if they need to.

Can you put him in a QT for awhile ? If he has an infection, more easily treated in the QT, if he is being bullied, he will heal by himself, but maybe not if the bullying continues.

More hiding places may help, but if the loach is determined to bully, you may have to reconsider either the loach or the cories. Trade one in, or sell, perhaps. You can't always have just what you want, unfortunately.

No QT tank, not much room in my apartment for it. I think hes beyond help now, hes just laying upside down on the bottom, swimming in a short burst every few minutes. I was reading around and I think the loach might be bullying from not being fed enough. I feed them all once every other day with flake and dried bloodworms, I'm going to try feeding more often like 2 times a day but smaller portions to see if he calms down.

Back
Top Bottom