Sick Crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Froggy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
On March 2nd I purchased a 2" Blue Crayfish to add to my 45 gal.tank, since that time he has molted twice,& is now a good 4 & 1/2". I thought they molted once every 3-6 months(?). Anyhow, the past few days he has not eaten nor has he wandered around tapping his lil feet looking for food. (if music is playing it looks like he is playing the piano, lol, great fun to watch)Nor has he "gone fishing" as I call it (tried to catch fish, also very comical,But, they are to big & to fast) His head which normally was bright blue, he's gotten bluer each molt, is now slightly tinted red, almost as if you can see his blood veins. He always acts really strange for a week after a molt, which is normal.His last molt was more than 3 wks ago. The test readings of the water are as follows: pH 7.0, NO2 <0.3, NO3 10ppm, NH3NH4 0. I am very concerned about him & can't seem to find any info on sickness, just stuff about worms & such, which I see no signs of. Any information would be greatly appreciated. P.S.This is my first post since joining & I must say Great site!!!Keep up the good work. :D I found this site @ AquaRank, http://www.aquarank.com/index.php?p=4 Members should go & rank the site to move it up. :wink:

While I don't know anything about crayfish, the first thing that comes to mind is nutrition. Are you sure he is getting everything he needs to eat?
Logan J

My crayfish have molted as often as once a month. It seem as if he molts more often when he is fed more. I feed mine about twice a week. The rest of the time I let him scavenge. Usually a small earthworm or a small piece of haddock. I also Throw in stray strands of my aquatic plants, which they munch on. And occasionally lettuce or cucumber. It seems like they will eat about anything. My guess is that he is going to molt again. They do act quite sullen before and after a molt. As far as the red on his head, Blue crays are bred from browns. It could be a small brown spot that has been there all along, but is more noticable since he is getting larger.

A word of caution, If you have more than one and you want them to keep both claws, separate them when the molt. They have no problem with cannibalism. I have a one clawed brown to prove it. Although the claw will grow back in a few molts, It is so sad to see him one armed, He doesn't seem to mind it. But he also seems to have extra aggression towards the little blue cray, that ate his arm.

angelstiger said:
As far as the red on his head, Blue crays are bred from browns. It could be a small brown spot that has been there all along, but is more noticable since he is getting larger.
His cave is located in the front of my tank & when he is "hangin" out I can see him quite well, especially since he's gotten so large & it's not brown on his head it's red & appears to be his veins. First thought when I saw it was my water was "off" :!: so I immedately tested, to find all well.
angelstiger said:
A word of caution, If you have more than one and you want them to keep both claws, separate them when the molt.
I only have one. I did research prior to purchase & knew that even male/female combos could/would fight, possibly till death & I wanted a cool tank, not a battle ground. :)
angelstiger said:
My crayfish have molted as often as once a month. It seem as if he molts more often when he is fed more. I feed mine about twice a week.
I didn't know that molting could happen so often. If he keeps this up my hubby is gonna be melting butter by November. 8O Thank you very much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom