Sick Danio - any advice appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karry1412

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I posted this the other day so apologies for posting again - I'm just so worried! One of my Giant Danio is, as you can see, very bloated. Her scales are sticking out & while she can swim around perfectly when she wants to she spends the majority of her time at the very top of the tank, right at the water line. I'm veey concerned now as my other Giant Danio is now acting odd. I think this one too is starting to look bloated (but maybe he has always been the bigger of the two - his stomach is not as obviously bloated) but I may be paranoid. He's spending most of his time hanging out at the air stone. Any advice would be so appreciated!

Also until today they were eating fine. I'm not too concerned as Mam fed them earlier & may have unknowingly given them too much.

I refer to them as him & her but don't mind me - I haven't a clue!

ForumRunner_20130312_204818.jpg

ForumRunner_20130312_204849.jpg

ForumRunner_20130312_204917.jpg

ForumRunner_20130312_204945.jpg

ForumRunner_20130312_205015.jpg

Hi! can you please post some more information? Tank size? Stocking? Water change schedule? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Some more info will help us to help you better!

Usually with bloat, I would feed my fish shelled peas since it helps with their digestive track.

Though do not over feeding and try to avoid over feeding as much as possible

Thanks so much for getting back to me :)

The tank is 120l & the stocking is as follows:
Common Pleco x1
Moonlight Gourami x2
Rainbows x 6 (Yellow x2 Turquoise x2 Green x2) (-1 Turquoise that died overnight :-( - no idea what happened!)
Giant Danio x2
Odessa Barbs x3
Molly x1
Neons x6
Cherry Barbs x6
Thai Glass Catfish x6
Betta x2 (Male x1 Female x1)

Test 10/03/13
pH 6.4
NH3/4T 0ppm
NO2- 0ppm
NO3- 40ppm

I had no idea the NO3- was so high (last test was 10 but it was a while ago) so did a partial water change with a much bigger water change on the cards for Saturday (more small ones can be done between now & then). I haven't tested for a while due to a death in the family so have been a bit preoccupied but want to get back on top of things & don't want my fishies to suffer :-(

Was the turquoise that died overnight bloated as well? How is your danio doing? Is he eating? What do you access to for meds?

Your nitrates are high...could be nitrate sensitivity. How often are you changing your water and filter media? Disease is a water quality problem most of the time. If it is a digestive problem, it is combined with a bacterial problem as you reported that scales were raised and fish in a head up position. I suggest treating the digestive problem with crushed peas, doing a large water change, and increasing the temp to interrupt the life cycle of any pathogens. Based on your low PH, very few bacteria are active externally. Internal can be a different story. Tyr my suggestions for about 7-10 days. Will definitely NOT make things worse.

Thanks so much guys. The Turquoise wasn't bloated but as you said the Nitrates are quite high so could have played a factor. I will continue with the small water changes & do a proper job on it on Saturday. I tried some peas tonight. I don't know if she got any herself but I'll try some more tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice - I really appreciate it.

Small water changes will not bring your nitrates down. You need 30-40% water changes for several days in a row. You must endure frequent water changes if you are to be successful with almost any fish. I have to tell you that I do a 55% WC on my 135 gallon tank, and a 80% WC on my 75 gallon tank EACH WEEK. I use filter media and carbon for 3 weeks. At 3 weeks I rinse filter media in tank water and discard all carbon. As a result, I have no water related problems or fish disease. I am raising Discus, one of the more demanding of fresh water fishes. I love what I do, but I have to tell you, I never skimp on water changes. As a result, I am having great success. I am sure these techniques will benefit you as well. Good Luck.......Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne! I know what you mean about the small water changes but its all I can do between now & the weekend. I'm off for a few days then & will do a succession of big water changes as you recommeded. All the other fish seem perfect so hopefully all will be well :)

There is a product call AmQuel that will help you..NOT AMQUEL Plus. It will get you over the hump when you are short on time or supplies. I use it in a pinch. Generally I use NOTHING in my water changes. I have a home made 12 stage filtration system for tap water. I make agout 50-60 GPD. My water goes into a 64 gallon drum where is it heated, sterilized, aerated and circulated. I am always 24-48 hours ahead so my water has that long to move through the various equipment. I never use any chemicals of any sort (Not even Prime, start right, salts, dechlorinators, softeners) never. I use peat and Indian Almond leaves in the final stage of filtration for softness and anti microbial eradication. It then goes directly into my tank. I have NEVER had a problem with fish health issues or water quality. I have PICs on the site in my public photo album. It is home made so I didn't cost me a fortune. The whole system cost me less than $200, minus the 64 gallon drum and power strip.

Back
Top Bottom