Sick dollars & snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I recently cycled a 55G tank and added around 20 neons, 5 small silver dollars and 4 mystery snails.

They were acclimatized properly, floating in the water, having tank water added etc.

The next morning I see snails with white fluff on them (Pic 2) and they are unmoving. The dollars were hardly moving and seemed to just be floating there sometimes on their sides. I did a 50% water change and have now noticed one dollar looks like it's losing it's scales (Pic 1).

I really think it'll be too late to do anything but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 61
Pic 1 added

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 46
What are the water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, temp? Did you add all of the fish at once, if so, it would of been too big a load for the BB to process and may have caused it to go into another cycle. Keep up the water changes and test your water daily, you may have to do large water changes everyday until there is 0 Ammonia and 0 nitrites...these are very toxic to fish. Good luck.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Your Tank

Hello Cyn...

Ideally, you added these fish a few at a time. Tank problems are water releated. So, large freqent water changes should be a routine. I keep 55 and 60 gallon tanks and change at least half the water every couple of weeks. I also add a bit of standard aquarium salt, one to two teaspoons for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. Fish take in and release a lot of water through bodily functions and a little salt helps the process.

I would add some floating plants like Anacharis or Hornwort to help keep the water chemistry stable between water changes. A little minced garlic is very good for fish and contains a natural antibiotic. Spice World has a good product. You might feed your fish a little. Mine really like it.

B

Thanks for the replies @anteatergoana and @BBradbury.

Unfortunately, as expected, all the dollars and snails didn't survive the night.

My levels were fine (0,0,10) and I was confident, although possibly wrong to, about adding all the fish at once as I believed after my fishless cycle there would have been sufficient nitrAte to support all the fish & snails at once.

Either way what is done is done :)() and now I'm a but confused as to what to do next. I am hesitant to add anymore fish and I'm hesitant about fully draining and cleaning the tank. 18/20 of the neon tetras are swimming around happily so I'm now unsure if it is something in the tank that doesn't affect the neons (Copper maybe? Just thinking re: snails) or possibly the dollars or snails themselves.

Anyway would appreciate and thoughts :)

I am really sorry to hear that you lost your fish and snails.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Back
Top Bottom