Sick Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’ve had this Dwarf Gourami named “Pi” for about 1.5 months. He has been doing great for that period of time, and never had even the slightest of problems. The water I always kept pristine. I had 3 gouramis before him, but I made mistakes with each of them, and this one I made sure everything was right. Tank was cycled, water clear, GH and KH normal, and PH aswell. This morning he was laying on the bottom. Not on his side. He ate, which is weird. His symptoms include him lying near the bottom, hitting the walls of the tank, and just looking sickly. I have some medicines, like anti bacterial and anti fungal. What do you guys think I should do? Any help is greatly appreciated

Could it be his swim bladder? Pictures would help.

I know it isn’t his swim bladder. He can rise and descend fine. Here is the best picture I have, my camera is currently messed up IMG_5909.jpg

Right now he is hiding, I’ll try to get a picture later

Is he looking more pale than normal? When he hits the walls does it seem like he's scratching? Does he have any lesions or abdominal swelling?

Is he looking more pale than normal? When he hits the walls does it seem like he's scratching? Does he have any lesions or abdominal swelling?

He doesn’t look anymore pale. He looks the same. And when he hits the walls it’s more of like a “didnt see you there” type hit. He sometimes moves around normally but then he just lays back down. Sometimes he almost like doses off like he just died and then snaps back into it. I don’t see any abdominal swelling or lesions.

Well it doesn't sound like dwarf gourami disease, ich or dropsy. It may be an internal parasite. Does he have long stringy white poop?

Well it doesn't sound like dwarf gourami disease, ich or dropsy. It may be an internal parasite. Does he have long stringy white poop?

No. He has normal poop. Saw him poop today. He tried eating but he just like...got tired and sank back down. Idk if he just didn’t sleep overnight or something?

How long are your lights on for? Maybe try reducing it and see if there's a difference.

OR and I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier, maybe you don't have enough oxygen in the tank. What kind of filter do you have? Do you have an airstone? How tall is your tank? Do you have live plants or fake plants?

OR and I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier, maybe you don't have enough oxygen in the tank. What kind of filter do you have? Do you have an airstone? How tall is your tank? Do you have live plants or fake plants?

I just have a normal hang on the back filter. And I do have a bubbler, it’s a 10G tank. About 14 inches high. And the only plants I have is algae [emoji854]. And I turn the lights off at night. Last night they were on until 12:00 AM though

Live plants (there are a ton of low light beginner plants) help produce oxygen. Because of the waste they produce dwarf gourami are usually recommended for a minimum of 15 gallons. Just keep up with your water changes and he should be ok.
Other than that everything else seems ok. Let us know if there are any new symptoms.

Update: this morning the Gourami was worse. He tried eating again and got excited but then sank bank down, and now lies on his side. He eventually uprighted himself and went back into his little corner that he hides in. No signs of anything again.

If you havent already, start a dose of paraguard and melafix just as a precaution.

Water parameters are

18 GH
125 KH
7.6 PH
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20 PPM Nitrate
Temperature is 78 degrees Fahrenheit
Water is crystal clear with some algae on ornaments

Had this Gourami for 2 months and literally overnight he just crashed. Now he is lying on his side. Don’t think he is gonna make it

Update: fish ended up dying. Every single dwarf Gourami I’ve had has died from nothing. He was 100% fine for 2 months then just randomly died in 36 hours. Very strange. Not ever getting a Dwarf again, this is the 4th dwarf I’ve tried

Theres always a reason your fish dies. If they are dying consistently like this then you need to find what it is that is killing them.
Do you quarantine?
Do you have another cycled tank you can put a DG in to see if they have issues in that tank?
What other fish are in the tank?

Sounded like swim bladder issues.

On your next one, dose it with meds in quarantine after you get him even if he appears fine. The four I like to use is Seachem Metroplex, Kanaplex (both can be used together at the same time), Paragaurd, and Prazipro. Give them 4-5 day break with med free water between each product.

Theres always a reason your fish dies. If they are dying consistently like this then you need to find what it is that is killing them.
Do you quarantine?
Do you have another cycled tank you can put a DG in to see if they have issues in that tank?
What other fish are in the tank?

I have platies and mollies which have all been fine. I’ve had all them longer than my gouramis combined and they’ve been fine. I genuinely believe it’s to do with the species being sensitive. I’ve even had snails that last longer.

Back
Top Bottom