Sick/Dying Platy :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolecandy44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had this platy for about 3 months now, and there were no health problems until now. This started about two days ago when I noticed my platy (Bill) who used to always swim at the surface when I came up, hanging out near the filter. I have had fish that usually hang out by the filter die and I thought that he looked a little sick. I fed them at the usual time I do and he ate, so I took that as a good sign. This morning I woke up, turned the lights on, and found him hanging out behind the filter. When I fed them, he didn't swim up to eat. 10 minutes ago I went to the tank and found Bill lying on the gravel breathing rapidly underneath my decoration. All the water parameters are fine, so I have no idea what is wrong. My platy does not look pregnant, and I do not want Bill to die :( Please help.

Sorry to hear that!
Can you give more info on what your water parameters are and what you're using to test the water? How often do you do water changes? What is the size od the tank? What do you feed him? Who are his tankmates? Any new fish added to the tank lately?
Hopefully we can narrow down what happened and prevent any more losses!

1) do the gills have small red or white string like things protruding from them?
2) what is the tank size?
3) has the fish been bullied/ has torn scales and fins?
4) do u have a bubbler? it sounds oxygen starved but idk...
5) how often/ much do u do a pwc?
it is all important info, so we can help :)

Back
Top Bottom