Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sick Fish

My German Blue Balloon Ram is sick and I do not know what to do. A couple of weeks ago he started developing white wart-like growths on his head. They started right after he had pop-eye in his left eye (which healed). I have tried treating him for parasites, ich, and fungus, but he has showed no improvement. He is still eating (i.e. granules and freeze dried brine shrimp and bloodworms) and behaving normally. His coloring looks normal as well, and he does not seem lethargic. I have had him for approximately 6 months (and bought him back when I didn't know it was unethical to buy balloon fish). He was in a 65 gallon aquarium, but I have since moved him to a 10 gallon hospital tank. I am not sure the exact water parameters of the tank, but it is cycled, and I do 50% water changes 1-2 times a week. My main tank is not over stocked, and he is the only one showing signs of illness. Any advice I could get on where to go from here treatment-wise would be really great. Thanks!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Would this fit at all? There are slides if other diseases apart from viral as well.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_...l#Lymphocystis

Old 09-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for your help! It looks a lot like Lymphocystis or a tumor, based on the pictures you sent.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good news to know I guess?

I've never really seen a cure for it. I've seen some suggested but nothing certain. If viral, it may just go on its own.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

He's getting better! Apparently it was some kind of fungus or something. He stopped eating and it was looking like he wasn't going to make it, so I treated him with meds extra hard. I gave him another round of fungus meds, but this time overdosed him a bit. I also added a lot of salt (about 3-4x the recommended dose). He turned dark and looked really haggard for a few days, but now his infection is clearing up and he's almost spot/bump free.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds grand! Good news.

Tags
fish, ick, sick, sick fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com