Sick Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlowens1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My German Blue Balloon Ram is sick and I do not know what to do. A couple of weeks ago he started developing white wart-like growths on his head. They started right after he had pop-eye in his left eye (which healed). I have tried treating him for parasites, ich, and fungus, but he has showed no improvement. He is still eating (i.e. granules and freeze dried brine shrimp and bloodworms) and behaving normally. His coloring looks normal as well, and he does not seem lethargic. I have had him for approximately 6 months (and bought him back when I didn't know it was unethical to buy balloon fish). He was in a 65 gallon aquarium, but I have since moved him to a 10 gallon hospital tank. I am not sure the exact water parameters of the tank, but it is cycled, and I do 50% water changes 1-2 times a week. My main tank is not over stocked, and he is the only one showing signs of illness. Any advice I could get on where to go from here treatment-wise would be really great. Thanks!

Thank you for your help! It looks a lot like Lymphocystis or a tumor, based on the pictures you sent.

Good news to know I guess?

I've never really seen a cure for it. I've seen some suggested but nothing certain. If viral, it may just go on its own.

He's getting better! Apparently it was some kind of fungus or something. He stopped eating and it was looking like he wasn't going to make it, so I treated him with meds extra hard. I gave him another round of fungus meds, but this time overdosed him a bit. I also added a lot of salt (about 3-4x the recommended dose). He turned dark and looked really haggard for a few days, but now his infection is clearing up and he's almost spot/bump free.

Back
Top Bottom