Sick fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...I will try to answer questions in the order they were posted on the website to the best my knowledge and hope that someone can help out...

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability ... Dalmation molly, she seems to be lagging at the bottom, not swimming as much, tail dragging down more than the top of her body, not eating as usual.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Ammonia 0, nitrate 0, Nitrite 0.5, Total hardness 120, Total alkalinity buffering cap (ppm) 180, pH 8.0 (which has been high, I have been trying to get this down by more frequent water changes.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 10 gallon, set up since end of December, cycled since Feb.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. HOB filtration system, AquaClear 20 Power Filter 378 L per hour - Maximum Output: 100 U.S. gal per hour - Full Flow Control: 124 L per hour - Full Flow Control: 33 U.S. gal per hour - Power Consumption: 6 W - Maximum Aquarium Capacity: 75 L - Maximum Aquarium Capacity: 20 U.S. gal

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 2 female dalmation mollies, 1 that is very pregnant, (not the one that seems sick but she is swimming very irradically around the sick one), one ADF and 1 mini clown pleco, we did have a male dalmation but he was removed once we found out about how many live fish we could actually have and did not have the space for that many fish...

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I did a 50 % water change today with vacuum gravel, normally I do this once/week at least a 25% water change once/week if I can, up to 50.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Had the fish since the end of Jan, acclimated them first in the tank slowly, just the mollies by themselves.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? I have added ground cover and a small cave for the pleco and cover for the babies when she drops, added them about a week ago.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
I have been adding frozen blood worms over the past few weeks, and I alternate between flakes tropical food and veggies, the blood worms are for the ADF, but the fish seem to eat them up like candy. He only gets them fbw every 2-3 days...

I have noticed her stool is white, like there is no constitency to it at all, she is burrowing in the gravel alot like she is struggling to swim now. I did feed her some peas to see if she was constipated and today when she pooped it was green from the peas...

if you have any ideas, please let me know...there are no marks or spots on any fish, no other fish seem sick, the pregger molly just seems to be "jetting" from one end to the other around her quickly...

don't laugh, could she be heart broken because I removed the male? they seemed to hang out together ALOT since the other molly was preggers. oh well, thanks for listening! :(

If the poo was white before did you happen to notice if it was stringy or not completely solid? Sounds gross I know but it can indicate an internal parasite. Does she perk up at all with water changes? If at all possible a pic would be helpful. I am inclined to think she may have a parasite. Not positive obviously, but if you can manage to feed her some medicated food for parasites that could be helpful.

it was somewhat translucent and stringy. At first, I thought it was she was constipated. It looked like she had (god this is weird) 2 strands of poo coming from her tail end. After that it just got worse. It's like she isn't going as much, when she does go it is very stringy, looks a bit slimy. This last batch was more green (obviously from the peas like I said) I am at work at the moment but as soon as I get home in the morning I will take a picture of her and download it and send it over...I think I forgot to add my water temp in the previous post..80 degrees. I have increased it a bit for my pregnant molly, someone recommend it to help with fry delivery.
Is there a certain type of med for parasites I should look for that you recommend? Thanks for the help..I just hope she is ok when I get home in the morning :(

8:28 am...ok here I am after working 12 hours of night shift trying to take some decent pics of my obviously sick suffering fish. There is something wrong. Now she is starting to move from side to side (almost like swaying your hips if you will)...with her body and it looks like she is gasping for air. She also has some stringy clear poo hanging from her back side...she did not eat at all today when I fed them...didn't even look up at the food, just sat at the bottom and watched it fall...

These are the best pics I could get, I took pics of my tank so you get an idea of how things were set up...I could always use constructive critisism...also are the ones of the two fish together so you could see the difference between the obvious gravidity (is that even a word) of the white one compared to the black one. Someone has already mentioned ICH, but don't be fooled...these are dalmation mollies and she is black with white spots...she has no obvious spots on her at all, thanks again for your help in advance...

update...8:48 am...one more update..now she is hiding in this ground cover at the bottom of our tank we have set up for the fry if we had any (in the pic it is the green in the middle) She has never hidden before, I am almost afraid to go to sleep, I know what I am going to wake up to :cry:

update...2:11 pm...just got up from working last night, dreaming about my dearest little molly, I was so afraid to go in and see what was in there. She is still hiding in the green cover at the bottom of the tank. Doesn't look good :cry:

update...4:00pm...still hiding, not even attempting to come for food at this point. My other molly is freaking out, swimming around the tank banging into the walls like something is really wrong. She is picking up on something...CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME...PLEASE....

update...5:28pm...still hiding, gulping for air, god she looks like she is suffering and it is killing me. It looks like her eyes are about to pop our of her head. I am such an animal activist I hate when people or animals suffer. I am torn about what to do. My dog was suffering so bad when she was sick so we put her down. I just am so new at this, is this something that can be cured? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP...ps I also did a check on the water today again and my nitrate have jumped from 0 to 20 in 2 days...can this be a sign of a problem?

Attachments

• blackmollyfish_001_183.jpg
    blackmollyfish_001_183.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 24
  • blackmollyfish_003_193.jpg
    blackmollyfish_003_193.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 32
  • blackmollyfish_013_172.jpg
    blackmollyfish_013_172.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 31
  • blackmollyfish_004_502.jpg
    blackmollyfish_004_502.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 29
  • blackmollyfish_010_210.jpg
    blackmollyfish_010_210.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 28
I wish I had better news but I don't. It's often impossible to accurately diagnose what's ailing a fish. They don't have the benefits of lab and blood work and such. I once had to ship live discus to a Med school to help me analyze a problem. I know, all of this doesn't help you.

Being that she's having trouble swimming horizontally, I'd say it's a swim bladder problem. You might try adding some epsom salt to the tank. 1 tsp per 10 gallons. This is a great remedy for certain digestive tract problems and won't harm the fish at all.

HTH

I'lll try the salt...it has to be epsom? Not the salt they sell at the lfs for freshwater brackish fish to add? I'll check out any info on swim bladder problems that I can find...thanks

For what you need it has to be epsom salt. Aquarium salt can cause retention of fluids. Epsom salts will draw them out.

where the heck to do you get epsom salt, the local grocery store? why do I feel so stupid...I am a nurse, I work in a field that deals with bringing in life, I think that is why this is bothering me so much. I have had people say...it's just a fish (they aren't fish owners) I just can't stand when something/anything suffers. I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow with my boys for a woodshop/workshop...I'll check on epsom salt when I'm out then if it's not too late. Thanks for listening zagz and brianNY...just that alone really helps ;)

Check for the epsom salts in the pharmacy/medicine section of any store. Alot of people soak their feet, hands in it. And I think you can also get it in a garden type setting for plants. But when I've bought it before, it was in the pharmacy section.

Hope your little gal pulls through.

she is laying at the bottom of the tank on her side now, hardly breathing. I put 1 tsp epsom salt in, don't know how long to wait, I think she is suffering and it is pulling at my heart strings. I can't stand to walk into my sons room for fear. This will be the first fish I have ever lost if she dies

Back
Top Bottom