Sick fish from Pet Store !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Let me know what you think about this and I'm not sure if I read it or someone told me but is it true that most fish that come from the Pet Store are sick due to their environment in the Pet Store and having been shipped usually overseas?

The reason I ask is that when I first started up my tank all my male guppies died along with a female. However, almost of my Neon, which were bought at the same time, are still alive.

Brendan

that may or may not be true. it hugely depends on the lfs you buy from. when i go to petco and look at the fish they have they look absolutly horrible(saltwater at least), i would never buy from them. you should check around for a good "fish only" store if you haven't already. if you find a good store, like the one i use quarantines all their fish for 10 days before even putting them in their displays, then you shouldn't have problems with that. it is still advisable to keep new arrivals in a quarantine tank for a couple weeks though. hth
steve

One thing to be aware of....because most fish stores have filtration systems that feed water through an entire bank of aquariums...if there's a disease in one tank then it is very likely that it will affect a whole lot of other tanks. I try to look carefully at all of the tanks to see if there is any sign of ich or other easily communicable diseases. If I see white spots on ANY of the fish I usually won't buy from that store at that time. If it is a fish that I just can't live without....I make sure it sits in my QT for at least a week...and preferrably two...before I put it in my main tank.

that may or may not be true. it hugely depends on the lfs you buy from.
Originally posted by Smonkey15
Wall Mart over here, all their tanks have ich and popeye. I'm supprised they havn't desided to switch aquarists or close the section all together.

Sometimes guppies will die if put in the same tank with danios because they try to school with them. It may be the same for tetras, but I'm not sure. This may be from new tank syndrom, and the neons just happen to cope with it better/ you bout more of them.

I work at Wal-MArt in the pet dept. and I can honestly say that the store that I work at, carrys pretty good quality fish. I have heard the many horror storys of the horrid conditions of some of their tanks, but I guess it all depends on where you live. Keep in mind that most fish, while probaly shipped from overseas, are usually shipped to the lfs from a smaller distributor. As for your fish problem...I think you just got a bad lot of fish, but it's hard to tell... My personal experience aside, guppies are not very long lasting fish, atleast for me atleast :?

Back
Top Bottom