Sick Fish....Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spence22

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

I have a Comet Goldfish. Has visible signs of fin and tail rot. The tail had a slit in it, about 2 weeks ago, i assumed he slit it on a plant. Now the tail has red/blood patches/spots on it. Tail looks ragged in some spots but smooth in others. The dorsal fin looks to have a slit now.
Another HUGE problem ive been dealing with is floating poop that appears to have air bubbles in it! The poop situation has been going on for well over a month.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 10 ppm
temp: 72.3
PH: 7.6

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

29 gallon, has been set up for 5 almost 6 months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Fluval 205 canister filter: 110 gph
Marineland pengiun 150 biowheel: 150

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

One, Comet Goldfish, roughly 5-6 inchs with tail included.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I last did a water change and vacuumed gravel 3 days ago. However i did clean filter media from fluval 205 canister which holds 1 gallon of water so i had to replace one gallon of water afterwards. I do water changes atleast once a week, sometimes two if i think its needed. I usually remove ten gallons of water and replace with new dechlorinted tap water.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I have had my fish for approximately 3 years.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

Yes, I have just recently started using a dechlorinator. I was using API stress Coat, but switched to Aqueon. I know for a fact that my tap water has chronine and chloramine in it, so my local pet store reccomended Aqueon.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I started off feeding tetra flaked food for goldfish, switched to Topfin mixed variety pellets for goldfish, also use aqueon slow sinking pellets for goldfish, and ocasionally feed Hakari bloodworms.

I would like to mention that my goldfish has had fin and tail rot once before about 3 or 4 months ago. I took good pictures and showed them to my local pet store and they recommended API aquarium salt and Melafix. I bought both and used them both and it actually did an amazing job, I noticed great results within the first 2 or 3 days. Since it worked for me in the past i choose to try it again. Ive been using it for 4 days, tonight will be the 4th dose. Yesterday my petstore recommeded trying pimafix in combination with melafix so i grabbed it last night and dosed with it last night. Im just not really immpressed with the melafix this time around, i honestly dont notice any healing yet. Ive only did one dose of pimafix, which i really didnt want to use because im not big on throwing a buch of chemicals in my aquarium.
Before dosing with Melafix and Pimafix, I dosed my aquarium with API aquarium salt, I started out with a salinity of .5 or half a teaspoon per gallon. then movied it up to .75. Gave that a solid week and noticed my fish was less stressed but it was not helping the illness, tail began to look worse as days went on.

My goldfish just doesn't seem happy at all, I try so hard to keep everything perfect and he still just seems stressed. I would not consider him lethargic, but he does spend 80% of the time on the bottom of the tank. Hes not laying on the gravel, just kinda hubering toward the bottom. If i come around the tank then he starts swimming around. He is easily spooked though, sometimes if im near the aquarium and i make a sudden move he will get freaked out, and sometimes i barely even flinch and he gets scared.

I just need some general advice. Should i continue with the melafix and pimafix treatment or should i go another route? How can I stop the floating poop ? Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

Can we get a pic of your tank setup and a close up of your fish.

My experience with comets is limited to my childhood but for fancies you never want rough edges on tank decor because of their tails. Rule of thumb is you need to be able to run panty hose over the decoration with no snags. Maybe remove the offending plant, you can always get some low light live plants. Hornwort, Anacharis, java fern, swords, Anubis. Goldfish will eat the Anacharis sometimes and up root the hornwort but the other stuff mine leave alone. Plus there is no chance of them damaging you fish and they will soak up Nirtates and ammo.

I had fin rot on my pearl scale and melafix helped but it returned. I ended up using maracyn 2 and that fixed my issue. But I don't want to make recommendations for you without being 100% sure.

As far as the floating poop;

Don't feed blood worms more than once a week they are two high in protein also you can add blanched deshelled peas twice a week. Goldfish do much better when they have veggies regularly added to thier diet. I personally recommend daily blanched Spinach on a veggie clip. You can also do kale, Broccoli florets, or zucchini (all blanched).

Here is a pic of my pearlscales tail when he/she had fin rot.

Attachments

• image-185560645.jpg
    image-185560645.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 72
Thank you for your response, i really appreciate it. I will go take a picture in a few minutes and then upload it and have it on here within next few hours. never uploaded anything on here before.
My goldfish "freddie" is looking a little worse today, but his stress level seems to be lower. Ive been looking at antibiatics online and so far Maracyn 1 or 2 seems to have good success rates, but im hesitante to put it in my main tank though. Would you recommend putting him in my hospital tank then medicate?

As far as the pooping situation goes, ive been feeding "Freddie" a mixed variety of Goldfish foods and that seems to have helped the floating poop, not completely though. I have recently bought a zuccini, frozen green pea's, and some romaine lettuce to feed him but i have NO CLUE how to prepare the veggies. Ive heard to freeze then boil then cool but im not positive. Could you explain how i should go about preparing the veggies for him. I did just buy a veggie clip the other day.

Do you have other fish in this tank besides Freddie?

I would bother with Lettuce it really doesn't have any nutritional content. Kale and spinach are better choices. Broccoli and peas are good though.

I use a coffee mug full of water with veggies in the microwave. Microwave till the food is tender, about a minute. Then dump out the hot water and pour in cold water to cool the food so you don't burn your fishes mouth.

No, its just Freddie.... Ill give you a little history on him. My sister got him and my deceased fish Goldie aobut 3-4 years ago and they both were in a 5 gallon tank for 3-4 years and never got water changes,only a 100% cleaning of everything! never even knew what a gravel vac was, she use to clean the bio filter. I mean everything was done completely wrong.
About 6 months ago i started coming around and noticed Goldie was sick, so i boutght a 29 gallon tank for the both of them and Goldie soon died after that, he was to far gone. Now Freddie is all by himself but the tank i have is only big enough for him. He's never acted the same ever since Goldie died, He just acts bored and stressed and i honestly cant figure out why. Ive improved everything except for the feeding veggies. I sometimes wonder if my sisters ignorance has severally damaged his immune system or something.

im working on getting that picture.

Well you could do a hospital but you may lose all your BB unless you dose with ammo the same as a fishless cycle. The BB would go 5 days without food since there would be no fish. Since its only him in there I would just treat the tank if you go the maracyn 2 route.

Not sure if someone else can chime in on the maracyn??

I have a 10 gallon hospital tank up and running but im not crazy abouut netting him out, I dont want to make his tail rip even more. Freddie my comet goldfish has a very unique tail. I orginally set up the hospital tank as a quarintine tank because i was planning on gettin a new fish but its been over a month and i havent.

UPDATE: Well this morning when i got up and turned on the aquarium light i noticed Freddie seemed more stressed then he has been. i waited about a half hour and came back to feed him and he was easily spooked! He does this ever now and then but hes been pretty chilled lately. His tail does not look any better. Last night was my 5th day treating with Melafix, and 3rd day of dosing with pimafix; it doesnt seem to be working.

OPINION: So what should i do now? should i do a major water change and put some carbon in to absorb the mela and pimafix. Then get some antibiotics?

Im considering doing some salt dips but once again i really dont want to net him out and just make him more stressed.

I took some pictures of Freddie last night, so i will have a couple pictures of him on here today. It might be a few hours though

]
Can we get a pic of your tank setup and a close up of your fish.

UPDATE: I inserted a new filter cartridge in my bio-wheel to remove the Melafix since it was not helping after 6 days.

OK here are some Pictures... Sorry it took so long to upload them, i couldnt find my SD-card adapter . Please give me your thoughts about what you see, IYO what should i do? His tail looks bad! I dono if you can see it in the pictures but the bottom part of tail has like 2 blood spots on it.

mortorola pics 2011-2012 081.jpg

mortorola pics 2011-2012 085.jpg

mortorola pics 2011-2012 076.jpg

Yeah try a cycle of maracyn 2 then give it some time to see if it improves.

I just bought the maracyn 2, im about to clean the gravel and do a water change before using it. How much water should i change? i was using melafix for 6 days and pimafix for 3. i added new carbon to my bio wheel last night to asorb the mela and pima.

also i have a 29 gallon tank but i think it only holds roughly 26 gallons, with gravel in it. But im not positive. How should i go about measureing the packets of maracayn 2? suppose to use 1 packet for every 10 gallons. My petsmart associate said that 3 packets really shouldnt hurt my goldfish. but left the disicion up to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Spence22 said:
also i have a 29 gallon tank but i think it only holds roughly 26 gallons, with gravel in it. But im not positive. How should i go about measureing the packets of maracayn 2? suppose to use 1 packet for every 10 gallons. My petsmart associate said that 3 packets really shouldnt hurt my goldfish. but left the disicion up to me. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I would agree with mummy and wait 24 hours before trying new meds to be safe. Also follow the instructions and do 1 pack per 10 gallons. Even disperse it throughout the tank.

Dwohlge1 said:
I would agree with mummy and wait 24 hours before trying new meds to be safe. Also follow the instructions and do 1 pack per 10 gallons. Even disperse it throughout the tank.

Mummy? Lol! :ROFLMAO: sorry made me giggle!

Last edited:
In one hour it will be 48 hours since ive dosed with any medications. I did a gravel cleaning and water change a few hours ago.

Back
Top Bottom